Movie Theaters in Big Trouble

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

zantizoom8

Post by zantizoom8 »

These film-going accounts make me wonder if there could be a script to be written somewhere about the whole cinema-theater experience which provide of plethora of plot twists, characters and comedic surprises. Patrons, staff, venues, projection, concessions, box office, parking, etc. can all be molded into a wide variety of story lines and human interest that anyone viewing the film on the big screen can surely relate to. The 'phoney' film being seen in the movie also provides a base to create more levels of story to deal with. But, wonder if hollywood would 'allow' such a parady poking fun at that aspect of their business.

Or, maybe someone can try filming a small format short about the cineplex scenes. The line for a showing of Rocky Horror Show would make an excellent subject for a 50ft cart.

My funniest movie day outting was about 15 years ago on a weekday afternoon when i was the only patron in the theatre to see some film, and they didnt start the film because they thought no one was in there. And that was the cinemaplex in City Walk at Universal Studios Hollywood!
When i saw Titanic at a Disney Cinema in Florida (also weekday during daylight) i was 1 of 3 people in the entire theatre. Private screenings in well equipped cinemas sure can be enjoyable, and its not really something new. :lol:
Forward, into the past.
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

reflex wrote: My parent's generation did just fine with a single 19" color TV and perhaps a VCR from the late 1970s onwards, yet my TV sits above a rack of "vital" gear.
Yeah, me too. My wife and I are convinced we can get back to almost no gear (in the living room) and maintain access to all the goodies we have now... but mostly that involves moving the gear to the "server room" so you don't have to see it. ;-)

I'll let you know as soon as my living room consists of a flat panel display, an imac and some tiny hidden speakers... I'm really ready to have access to my entire music collection w/o ever touching a disc, and I'm not sure how anybody ever maintained LPs and a turntable with toddlers in the house...
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

David M. Leugers wrote:
To say that Hollywood used to make these tremendous movies that motivated audience markets and now they only make crap is so oversimplifying the equation...
Yes and no. What is your equation? One of the real problems is that there is such a lack of choice when it comes to most areas. We are victims of the multi-plex scenario. I have many, many screens within driving distance of me, yet there are only about 12 different films showing. Each multi-plex is showing the exact same films. None of those businesses ever take a chance showing a small independent film let alone a foreign made film. The point for me is that the majors make a dwindling list of films each year that appeal to me. There are still some very good films being made, the number of them AVAILABLE to be seen on the big screen near me has steadily dropped over the past few years to a noticeably bleak level. For the first time in my life, going all the way back to the late 1950's I have not frequented movie theaters with zeal. This past year I have gone to see 5 films. I liked them all, but 3 of the viewings were marred by obnoxious and rude people. Twice I had to actually yell at people to shut up so I could hear the film. Like Rick related, the people in the seats are becoming a big negative in the theater going experience. Still, if I have a passion to see a film, I go. It's just that I have found less and less that brings me in. Your mileage may vary.

David M. Leugers
Yeah, fair enough. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere with some independent theaters, and we have enough mainstream multi's that I can usually find what I'm looking for. But I get your point... and will experience a week of being in Magnolia, Arkansas over Christmas with lots of time to go see movies and no movies to go see.

Haven't had your experiences with rude moviegoers. That would definitely be irritating...
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

David M. Leugers wrote: The last experience (No Country for Old Men) was typical. The five jerks came in fifteen minutes into the film talking just below a shout. Sit right by me and continue talking for several minutes, ignoring the many shhh's being directed at them. Feet up on the seat backs, cell phones on... I wish I had a photo of the look on their faces when I yelled at them. It was as if they were completely at a loss to know why I was yelling at them... I was at a loss to know why they were there... I guess if I have to chill out and just accept the behavior, then I really don't want to be there. But I can't miss a film by the Cohen Brothers. 8)
It's unbelievable that the theater management lets this continue, and more unbelievable that they are so lax as to force the punters to take things into their own hands. I guess the minimum-wage teenagers running the show aren't making enough bean to risk a fistfight with a stranger...
kentek

Live Quiet or Die Hard

Post by kentek »

the sequel to Bruce's latest. I'm sure he could find a way to tear up a theater , screen, projection booth.

When asked "Why?" "They wouldn't SHHHsh!"

Sounds like a script coming on.
ken wood
tlw sports company, llc
camarillo, ca
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

It's unbelievable that the theater management lets this continue, and more unbelievable that they are so lax as to force the punters to take things into their own hands. I guess the minimum-wage teenagers running the show aren't making enough bean to risk a fistfight with a stranger...
Good point. You are definitely on your own. I was fortunate enough to have started out going to theaters that had ushers with flashlights who patrolled up and down the aisles to help people find a seat, but mostly to keep anyone from disturbing others. They would warn an unruly person, then eject them from the theater if they were unrelenting. They were not goons, it was understood they were there to insure your movie going experience was the best it could be, and they had the backing of most of the people if a jerk wanted to make trouble. Oddly, this was the main theme to me of the film "No Country for Old Men". Evil succeeds because of the inaction of good men. We have become a nation indoctrinated into non-action, don't get involved, complacent sheep. OK, I'll get off my soap box...

David M. Leugers
Angus

Post by Angus »

When the wife and I went to watch The Bourne Identity a few years ago, a young couple across the way from where we were seated proceeded to have oral and then full sex....honestly I didn't know whether to look at them or the screen!

But generally I've not been disturbed at the cinema by other patrons...with the caveat that I expect rumbunctious children during the first week's run of a kids/family film. So, for Harry Potter, I simply wait a couple of weeks.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Roster

Beowulf theatre experience

Post by Roster »

I went to see Beowulf in IMAX 3D last night. Due to projector problems, the start time was delayed by 30 minutes. While we waited, patrons were afforded the opportunity to switch to the Digital 3D version of Beowulf plus a free pass to another show of their choice.

I opted to wait it out. I really wanted the IMAX experience. Overall, it was worth the wait. The 3D was better than any other 3D I have seen and the big screen was a definite plus. However, I was expecting a much larger size of screen comparable to what IMAX uses for museums. This screen was nowhere near that size but I guess it was still somewhat bigger than the other screens showing the Digital 3D version. And yet they still charge a premium price for IMAX films. Most movie goers are probably unwilling to pay this premium.

Has anyone compared film and digital versions of the same movie? I'm tempted to do this but as before, other than disappointment in screen size, the film version in 3D of Beowulf looked gorgeous.
"Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

I love IMAX film presentations. "Batman Begins" was just awesome. Imagine what would be if they shot the film in 65mm/70mm/...

David M. Leugers
jaxshooter

Post by jaxshooter »

Well in the midst of the blues here for dying theater business,I can offer a ray of hope.I've been handed the duty of managing the only DRIVE IN theater still operating within a several hundred mile radius.We're running three screens,film projection,first run movies and business is doing pretty good.We offer first run movies,we've beefed up the lamps and tweaked the sound and we've gotten quite a few compliments on it.Our snack bar is also one of the best you're going to find and the cost is roughly half what you would pay at an indoor.4 dollars per person.Anyone in the Jacksonville,Florida area,be sure and visit the Playtime Drive In.
Marty Hamrick

Cinematographer

Windsor, Ontario