Wish me luck!

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Wish me luck!

Post by MovieStuff »

Nothing to do with super 8 but I've finally gotten the courage to enter the prestigious Hunting Art Prize competition. ($50,000 prize! Whoo-hoo!) I don't have that many paintings but I finally narrowed it down to this one, called "The Last Roundup".

My entry number is 1765 !!!!!! Yikes!

Oh, well. If I even place in the final 100, I'll be happy. Won't know until January and then the final selection is in May, sometime. If I place, I get to display my painting at a fancy-pantsy gala event and put it up for sale. If I sell it, I get to keep the money but Hunting will match all sales and give the proceeds to charity. Kinda cool......

Roger
Scotness

Post by Scotness »

Good luck Roger - once again great art work - my only criticism would be that the wood grain detail is so strong (and mesmerising) that it takes focus away from the old man. Which may be your intention of course.

Lighting wise too the clouds suggest diffused light but the high contrast grain suggest strong coherent light - not impossible, but interesting when you do get shafts under sullen skies - that kind of effect would look really good in colour -- the original is black and white I take it.

Anyway good luck - I like it :-)

Scot
Read my science fiction novel The Forest of Life at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D38AV4K
Jean Poirier

Post by Jean Poirier »

Best of luck. $50000 will buy a lot of super 8 film;-)
Jean
Uppsala BildTeknik

Post by Uppsala BildTeknik »

Cool, good luck! 8)

You really make fantastic paintings!
JCook

Post by JCook »

May the force be with you. :D

Good luck

John
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Roger,

all the best. It's a nice painting. I admire the range of luminance you have achieved here. What materials are you working with?

Steve
Angus

Post by Angus »

Good luck Roger! It's a lovely painting.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

Thanks, guys!

Scotness wrote:Good luck Roger - once again great art work - my only criticism would be that the wood grain detail is so strong (and mesmerising) that it takes focus away from the old man. Which may be your intention of course.
Sort of, actually.

The concept behind this painting is that there are two subjects, not one. The weathered loading chute has been this old cowboy's partner his entire life and they both needed to show their age. So I put a lot of detail into the loading chute and fence that I normally would have downplayed.

Classical position of the cowboy as a single subject would have him facing into the painting with the background as a secondary, less detailed focal point. But I wanted to present a sense of time and also a sense of an impending change. If they had both faced the same direction, it would have created a feeling of continued unity; that they were ready for as many more roundups as time might continue to throw at them. But by facing the cowboy away and out of the painting and making the loading chute as detailed as the cowboy, we (hopefully) get a sense of impending separation between two subjects, hence the title "The Last Roundup". They're like an old married couple that sit at dinner and no longer talk to each other. The cowboy is looking off to a different future because he can walk away after a lifetime of hard work and toil but the loading chute is there to stay, unable to do anything else but endure the elements of time.
Scotness wrote:Lighting wise too the clouds suggest diffused light but the high contrast grain suggest strong coherent light - not impossible, but interesting when you do get shafts under sullen skies - that kind of effect would look really good in colour -- the original is black and white I take it.
I did the painting in black and white on purpose, though the original reference photo was in color. I knew that black and white would be more dynamic and really show off the grain of the cedar. I like contrasting different lighting schemes in a single painting. We get the type of lighting you see in this painting all the time out here. Boiling, dark clouds with hard sunlight punching through on areas of the ground. Very dynamic. I can't get enough of it.

steve hyde wrote:What materials are you working with?
This is acrylic on a 3 foot by 5 foot stretched canvas. I paint quite large because my hand is not very steady and my eyesight is getting worse as time goes by. Too many years of looking through a super 8 camera without ground glass focusing, I guess. ;)

Interestingly enough, this painting does have something to do with watching things on a projection screen. As I noted in my initial post, my entry number is 1765 with others no doubt entering after me. With about 2000 entries, the judges have to quickly move through a lot of images. While the final round is judged from the actual canvas, the original submission is a hi-rez JPEG only. I was originally going to enter a color painting and was concerned about how it would look on a computer monitor but I also knew that this black and white painting would not be as powerful on a tiny viewing screen (it really needs to be seen in person for full effect). After some phone calls, I found out that they use a data projector on a 10 foot screen for the judges to view the entries. My experience has been that data projectors usually have just awful color but they can project black and white stuff really, really bright and sharp. Since they would be looking at a large image, I decided to use this painting. It isn't my favorite but I felt it would translate better to the viewing method being used by the judges.

Roger
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

I bet you win it all!!!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

That would be nice but the money is secondary. As I say, I'll be happy if I just place in the final 100. Here's a closer view

http://www.rogerevans.tv/ru_large.jpg

Even this really does not do justice to the wood grain, etc. I went fairly nuts doing this painting. The wood seemed to never end!

Roger
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

sweet, best of luck mr.evans.

now... i thought you were on hiyadus (typo) from this forum...
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
Nick

Post by Nick »

Roger,

That's a beautiful painting. Looks like a ranch/stable I used to work on outside San Marcos, Texas years ago. I think the only thing to worry about now is not so much the competition but the judges. I found a few examples of some of the past winners of the competition online and subject matter's and execution seem to vary which makes me think judging teams will be inconsistent year to year.

Anyway, you do not need luck, you've got great skills. Keep painting!

Regards,
Nick