vision2 200 and 500 processing

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

martin

vision2 200 and 500 processing

Post by martin »

Hi all

I was going to venture into using these two film stocks, but where
does one get the negative developed, and for that matter where does one get a positive print made.

I found a place in australia that does a negative but it seems no print? Location can be from anywhere in the world.

cheers
Martin
Bauer S 209 XL
Cosina 40P
Beaulieu 6008s
reflex

Post by reflex »

Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin is the only place I know that makes S8 prints from neg...

http://www.andecfilm.de/en/e_s8_neg_pos.htm
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

Nobody does the negative-positive thing in Super 8. Negative film is shot as original, and then transferred to video. Better quality than reversal. It's never intended for projection.
reflex

Post by reflex »

Jim Carlile wrote:Nobody does the negative-positive thing in Super 8. Negative film is shot as original, and then transferred to video. Better quality than reversal. It's never intended for projection.
Well, a Super 8 positive makes sense if you're shooting with Vision 2 500T in a low light situation and you want to project your footage - most likely because you're incorporating it as a limited segment with a film shot on reversal and edited traditionally.

It would be interesting to know just how many S8 positive prints Andec makes each year, and what they're being used for.
www.retrothing.com
Angus

Post by Angus »

Jim Carlile wrote:Nobody does the negative-positive thing in Super 8. Negative film is shot as original, and then transferred to video. Better quality than reversal. It's never intended for projection.
Jim, you really need to check your facts.

Andec Filmtechnik in Berlin will take your super 8 neg and produce a super 8 postive for projection from it. I have used this service three times, others must use it.

However at present Andec are the only lab in the world offering this service.

Andec also process the neg films in their own lab.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I agree with Reflex.

Unless you really have to have it for a projection it seems that tranfer would make much more sense.

As for Angus and his "Facts" the fact is that very few people shoot S8 neg with the intention of having it printed.

Good Luck
mattias

Post by mattias »

when some people say nobody they mean few people and few people would disagree if anybody. nobody has sex with cows either, yet some do.

/matt
RichardB

Post by RichardB »

Nigel wrote:As for Angus and his "Facts" the fact is that very few people shoot S8 neg with the intention of having it printed.
Probably because of the cost I'd imagine - I'd LOVE to shoot negative and project it but don't because I can't justify the cost.
Jim Carlile

Post by Jim Carlile »

mattias wrote:when some people say nobody they mean few people and few people would disagree if anybody. nobody has sex with cows either, yet some do.

/matt
Thanks Mattias. :)

Andec is the only lab I have ever heard of that has ever made super 8 positives from negatives. Until a few years ago, the only negative film available was the old military and surveillance stocks. It's just never done. Where does he even get the print stock? There was never one in any catalog, at any time, during the last 40 years (trying to remember?) ....I don't even recall a DS8 negative-positive process... at one time long ago ECO was available in DS8 for commercial users but that even that was reversal.
reflex

Post by reflex »

mattias wrote:when some people say nobody they mean few people and few people would disagree if anybody. nobody has sex with cows either, yet some do.
A farmer is giving his new city-bride last-minute instructions before heading to town to do some business. "That fellow from Sematol will be along this afternoon to inseminate one of the cows. I've hung a nail by the right stall so's you know which one I want him to impregnate."

That afternoon, the "Inseminator" arrives, and the wife dutifully takes him out to the barn and directly to the stall with the nail. "There's the nail so this is the cow right here," she tells him. "What's the nail for?" the guy asks. Replies the city-bride, "I guess its to hang up your pants."
www.retrothing.com
camera8mm

Post by camera8mm »

guess nobody made prints from 8mm or 16mm either.

lol
Ludwig Draser

Post by Ludwig Draser »

Hello .
Sorry, there this a lot of misunderstanding and wrong information on this forum regarding print materials .
1) There is no print material in color-reversal S8 or 16 mm avaible .
This service cant be offered from any company worldwide any longer.

2) Print material in color -positiv in S8 mm are possible to get , with some problems, but possible. There are some companies worldwide who can print 16 mm negative to Super 8 . We are at the moment the only one, who can print S8 mm negative to S8 mm positive in polyester and for a while also in acetat. The quality for that service are possible seems since Vision 2 material avaible. Prints from Surveillance stock are too grainy. Problem for printing negative are the facilities for timing and printing . Through some circumstances we have had tis possibility.

Kindly regards
Ludwig Draser
Angus

Post by Angus »

Oh hell sorry if I assumed that "nobody does it" meant that...uh...."nobody does it".

:roll:
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
martin

Post by martin »

thanks all,

was interested in making a short with negative and then printing it and have a movie night with some mates. The effect of projecting a film has more effect than just watching it on tv.

cheer
martin
Bauer S 209 XL
Cosina 40P
Beaulieu 6008s
mattias

Post by mattias »

martin wrote:The effect of projecting a film has more effect than just watching it on tv.
watch out. mitch is out there. :-)

/matt