Beaulieu R16 Automatic Questions

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

ccortez

Beaulieu R16 Automatic Questions

Post by ccortez »

I just received a camera I sort of bought by accident on ebay a week or so ago. I found what looked like an R16 automatic w/Angenieux 2.2 12-120 (10x12 B), but the pictures and description were barely there, so there was some faith involved. Anyway, it had 12 hours left and a "reserve not met" 99 cent bid, so I bid 200 expecting it to go for more than 400. Guess everybody missed it, b/c I was in a meeting at work Monday when I realized I bought it for 165!

I've looked for that lens for a long time and bid a lot more than that for it in the past, so the camera body feels pretty much free at this point. Works too, though I haven't checked all the speeds against my recently serviced R16. Keeps a loop perfectly and the 24 fps speed seems very close and steady. I'm sure I'll discover some issues, but so far so good...

Questions about this camera:

1. How much of the reglomatic knobby stuff on the turret comes off?

2. How do you take the lens off? I can just use this as a normal (non-automatic) c-mount lens on my other R-16, right?

3. Do the knobby things have their own battery(s) or do they take power from the camera? (don't know how they would)

I'm sure I'll come up with more, even though I have the manual...
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

BTW, the lens is mint. Lens cap even looks great. Front glass is perfectly clear and un-smudgy and the purple coating is lovely. I bet the shots would intercut nicely with the similar lens on the Bauer 715 XL.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Don't hold me to this since it is coming from a Swiss cheese brain...

If my memory serves of my R16PZ(Power Zoom). I remember the face plate being unmoving and the screws flush so that the lens came off just like a 4008.

Don't hold me to it since it is going on 10 years and a couple hundred hangovers.

Ask T-Scan.

Good Luck
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

A quick update on this purchase...

I have moved the Angenieux 10x12 B, which is in amazing condition, over to my non-automatic R16 that Bjorn serviced a couple of years ago. I have the reinforcing turret plate attached to deal with the additional weight of the lens.

For whatever reason -- maybe b/c at most focal lengths this lens covers well more than the 16mm frame? -- the image on the ground glass looks much brighter and cleaner than it ever has using other lenses, including other zooms (E.g. Canon video zoom) and quality primes. Maybe it's just b/c this lens and this camera were born to be together. :)

So my new questions are all about the camera body I received:

1. I believe this body is the "automatic", meaning auto-exposure. But I don't think it's the "power zoom" version. But how would i know? What would this version have and/or look like?

2. The serviced body I have is the non-automatic. But... it seems like the only difference between mine and this new one is the turret, which has the reglomatic stuff attached. And somewhere (maybe the manual?) seems to suggest that a non-automatic can be made into an automatic just by putting the auto turret on my non-auto body. True?

3. The auto-exposure part seems to do... something... but not the right something. (It's real slow and seems to only shut the iris down, not open it up.) Not that I have any real interest in or use for the auto-exposure stuff, but I have become curious about it now. Can the sensor/cell/whatever in the reglomatic thingy be replaced, and if so with what?

4. On the new body, the 24/25 fps seems to work fine... but the 2-64 setting seems pretty broke. No matter where I dial the 2-64 disc, the camera sounds like it's running at about a million fps. Maybe it's 64... but it's damn loud and fast and sort of out of control sounding. For you camera repair types, is this something like a potentiometer that has failed and might be replaceable?

I think that's all. I feel like I got a wicked lens and half of a half-broken camera body for free. Nice. :)