Great film, but no market for it: Sorry...

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

npcoombs wrote: Yeah well I'm one of the least nationalistic people you will ever meet. Britain is one of the most class-ridden elitist countries in the world. Not an insult - a fact!
Too bad you aren't one of the many, many wonderful exceptions to that generalization. ;)

Roger
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

MovieStuff wrote:
npcoombs wrote: Yeah well I'm one of the least nationalistic people you will ever meet. Britain is one of the most class-ridden elitist countries in the world. Not an insult - a fact!
Too bad you aren't one of the many, many wonderful exceptions to that generalization. ;)

Roger
Yeah I'm upper class me. God Save the Queen.
downix

Post by downix »

The irony of course being that I'm decendend from displaced former landholders in brittan....
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

downix wrote:The irony of course being that I'm decendend from displaced former landholders in brittan....
Well, Britain was a terrible place. I can fully understand why everyone jumped ship.

Nowadays if you happen to be in London or another metropolitan area with a well-paid job, you are fine. The rest of the country is rotting as the British government pursues its craven adulation to the financial sector in London and de-industrialises the rest of the country.

This is why the £ is so strong, to attract capital inflows, and why manufacturing and exports are at an all-time low. So our provincial towns are just strips of Poundlands and charity shops, where ex car makers and engineers are forced to work in McDonalds or call centers.
downix

Post by downix »

npcoombs wrote:
downix wrote:The irony of course being that I'm decendend from displaced former landholders in brittan....
Well, Britain was a terrible place. I can fully understand why everyone jumped ship.

Nowadays if you happen to be in London or another metropolitan area with a well-paid job, you are fine. The rest of the country is rotting as the British government pursues its craven adulation to the financial sector in London and de-industrialises the rest of the country.

This is why the £ is so strong, to attract capital inflows, and why manufacturing and exports are at an all-time low. So our provincial towns are just strips of Poundlands and charity shops, where ex car makers and engineers are forced to work in McDonalds or call centers.
Foolish move. Economies are based on production. Everything else is based off of that production. Don't produce anything, you then are unable to achieve sustainable growth, and will eventually collapse.

I did a nice essay on the folley of the "service based economy" and the eventual economic collapse that would follow.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

downix wrote:Don't produce anything, you then are unable to achieve sustainable growth, and will eventually collapse.

I did a nice essay on the folley of the "service based economy" and the eventual economic collapse that would follow.
The British government's strategy seems to be based on the assumption that they can sustain a division of labour whereby the Third World produces all the basic manufactured items and so forth and we specialize in services, creative industries and high-tech development.

A number of problems though:
1) This is based mainly on China's suppression of its currency, but one day the current account deficit will cause this to collapse and suddenly those imports will not be so cheap.

2)R&D investment here is pitiful. The idea that we will be world leaders in high-tech industries is a joke.

So what we are left with it just services. Which as you point out is unsustainable.

What was your main argument in your essay?
downix

Post by downix »

npcoombs wrote:
downix wrote:Don't produce anything, you then are unable to achieve sustainable growth, and will eventually collapse.

The British government's strategy seems to be based on the assumption that they can sustain a division of labour whereby the Third World produces all the basic manufactured items and so forth and we specialize in services, creative industries and high-tech development.

A number of problems though:
1) This is based mainly on China's suppression of its currency, but one day the current account deficit will cause this to collapse and suddenly those imports will not be so cheap.

2)R&D investment here is pitiful. The idea that we will be world leaders in high-tech industries is a joke.

So what we are left with it just services. Which as you point out is unsustainable.

What was your main argument in your essay?
That corporate profits at the expense of locally produced goods would lead to a severe recession at home (which is what's been happening since 2001) which only a few relatively minor incidents could push to a full depression or absolute collapse. That the very model used (the one you mentioned about using third world producers) was inverted, that rather than other countries producing goods for the US (I'm from the US, so I was us-focused) it should be the US being the producer for the world, supporting them, developing them. The producer-based economy was far more sustainable during times of crisis, and was the only method for long-term survivability.
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

Roger,

Your attack on the language Nathan chooses to use to express himself speaks volumes about you. He is British you are Texan. Get used to living in a world where people speak differently than you do!!! (the point of this thread)

Nathan's points are very clearly argued and well worth consideration.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:Roger,

Your attack on the language Nathan chooses to use to express himself speaks volumes about you. He is British you are Texan. Get used to living in a world where people speak differently than you do!!! (the point of this thread)

Nathan's points are very clearly argued and well worth consideration.

Steve
I'm not sure its a British versus Texan thing, but there are limits to how much you can discuss things as complicated as social history and political economy in a breezy folksy way.

I mean how frustrated would Roger get if he made a complex technical point and someone accused him of pretentiousness and started writing stuff like - "these camera thingys are really pretty simple...."
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...right. We need new language for discussing a rapidly changing world. We can't rely on the folksy language of yesteryear. Nathan, I follow your argument and think you raise some great points. Thanks for weighing in on the conversation. I wish I had time now to take them up for discussion, but off to work...

Steve
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

...now I see the inflammatory comment was about geography. Surely the U.S. isn't least educated. Saying that is bound to start a fire. I overlooked that when I made the reply to Roger...

Anyway, I don't think *level of education* is as important as *kind of education.* And this is why cultural hegemony is such an interesting concept because it is a theoretical lens for looking at the ways the mass-media educates. It is also why the most important *kind of education* is the ability to think critically because then people learn to question authority.

reference link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cultural_hegemony

I can't tell you how much I would like to see more people questioning authority. A healthy democracy depends on it. We have too much blind faith in the United States. We need more critical theory. More languages for questioning authority. In other words, not more education. New Education.

Steve
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

steve hyde wrote:...now I see the inflammatory comment was about geography. Surely the U.S. isn't least educated. Saying that is bound to start a fire. I overlooked that when I made the reply to Roger...
Yeah, inflammatory when people are predisposed to reflex national identification and defensiveness.

I would say of the the rich, developed countries Americans are certainly (on average) the most apathetic about knowledge of international matters and social critique. I think this is undeniable. All countries have their faults, but again this is not a moral failing of middle America or the MTV generation, this is how they grow up, the ideology of a society formed by people and forces greater than any individual.

Again, this is not just Von Trieresque ruminations from across the Atlantic, my experiences at University in America were uniquely depressing. But then again I went to school in an International School in Singapore so maybe my expectations of worldliness were set sky high!

I mean I was subjected to un-ironic questions continuously like:

"Are you glad to be free now you are in the USA?"

"Don't you wish you had elections like in America?"

"Where in Europe is Singapore"

"Why do British people have black teeth"

etc. etc. ok a bit of sour grapes, but for Christ's sake these are University students. It's like they absorbed nothing but MTV for the entire 20 years of their life!!!
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

steve hyde wrote:Roger,

Your attack on the language Nathan chooses to use to express himself speaks volumes about you. He is British you are Texan. Get used to living in a world where people speak differently than you do!!!
Respectfully, Steve, you don't know a single thing about me that would apply here. My entire life has been in the arts. I am an experienced writer and probably one of the most literate people on this forum. But you don't need to be one of the "many, many wonderful exceptions" to Nathan's insulting generalization about the US to recognize self-serving BS.
steve hyde wrote:Nathan's points are very clearly argued and well worth consideration.
Oh, I have no doubt that the society, in general, seems to embrace education less and less. I have made that same comment my self many times. But I would never try to make the UK a distinction, knowing all the while that my own country and other countries suffer the same problem. It is a societal problem and not something unique to the US, despite Nathan's proclamations. Anyone that has to resort to baseless insults to make their point has no point worth consideration, in my opinion.

To wit:
npcoombs wrote: I would say of the the rich, developed countries Americans are certainly (on average) the most apathetic about knowledge of international matters and social critique. I think this is undeniable.
You are such an inexperienced young man, Nathan. There is more to education than books and more to life than the assumptions with which you frame your misplaced and ill-serving conceit. For someone that aspires to be a director, you sure know very little about people and the importance of tact.

Roger
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

npcoombs wrote:
steve hyde wrote:...now I see the inflammatory comment was about geography. Surely the U.S. isn't least educated. Saying that is bound to start a fire. I overlooked that when I made the reply to Roger...
Yeah, inflammatory when people are predisposed to reflex national identification and defensiveness.

I would say of the the rich, developed countries Americans are certainly (on average) the most apathetic about knowledge of international matters and social critique. I think this is undeniable. All countries have their faults, but again this is not a moral failing of middle America or the MTV generation, this is how they grow up, the ideology of a society formed by people and forces greater than any individual.
I'm with you. American's are more apathetic about international matters and social critique. It is undeniable. This is not to say that there is not apathy among other *rich* so-called "developed" countries.

Citizens of the United States (or shall we call them *consumers* of the United States) do not have a process-based understanding of geography.
They do not understand that the so-called *third world* is a product of the so-called *first world*. They tend not to question authority because they are disciplined not to. "Every thing happens for a reason" , "just pray and everything will be ok", "Have faith and great awards await you when you are dead" and so on and so forth...

The mass media and religious right are waging an all out cultural war against citizenship. They want to transform otherwise intelligent, questioning, critical democratic citizens into passive, disciplined workers that serve Capitalist Empire *development* and conform to the consumer habits that are so important to it.

Now fully standing on a soap box :wink:

Freedom has become unfreedom!!
Justice has become unjustice!!
Democracy has become undemocracy!!
Citizens have become consumers!!!

Death to Democracy!! Long Live Empire!!! (gun to head)

Steve
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

MovieStuff wrote:

Respectfully, Steve, you don't know a single thing about me that would apply here. My entire life has been in the arts. I am an experienced writer and probably one of the most literate people on this forum. But you don't need to be one of the "many, many wonderful exceptions" to Nathan's insulting generalization about the US to recognize self-serving BS.

Oh, I have no doubt that the society, in general, seems to embrace education less and less. I have made that same comment my self many times. But I would never try to make the UK a distinction, knowing all the while that my own country and other countries suffer the same problem. It is a societal problem and not something unique to the US, despite Nathan's proclamations. Anyone that has to resort to baseless insults to make their point has no point worth consideration, in my opinion.
His comment insulted you. My read is that insulting was not his intent. His argument, might lack tact, but it is far from mere "baseless" insult.

With respect, your resort to call him a pompous ass is arguably more of a baseless insult.

I recognize your intelligence and admire your artistry and entrepreneurial success. You are clearly literate, but it is also clear that you are not keeping up with the current literature on political economy. You should.
It is some of the best source material for science fiction.

Steve