A-CAM super16 is it advisable to use other lens besides 9mm?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fritzcarraldo

A-CAM super16 is it advisable to use other lens besides 9mm?

Post by fritzcarraldo »

Hello

My friend is thinking about shooting a short-film soon, he's still deciding what would be the best format, but he is inclined to "super 16"

So, he thought about buying a new A-CAM so he could film some other stuff with it later, or maybe rent it,

But it might be some aspects about A-Cam that can dissuade him in buying it,

The camera is light, seems very stable from what i've heard

But, he thinks that it might be some limitation in using other C-mounts lens on it besides the 9mm it comes with it already,

According to the camera manual, the magnetic viewfinder is adapted to this 9mm lens right?

How could he use other C-mount lens and still use the viewfinder, or at least know what he was filming?

I have some C-mount lens, fixed and zoom i could spare him, but we're afraid it might be hard to achieve good results with it

Do you know something about this?

Have you tried to use other lenses besides the 9mm? Did it work out well, did you knew what you were filming?
:lol:

Please share your experience with us, we really need some "light" on this

Thanks

Regards
mattias

Post by mattias »

the a-cam is great if you really need a small and light camera. if that's not your top priority there are many much better options, some quite affordable as rentals like the older aatons and the arri sr2. you will get better lens options as well as 400' mags. as a matter of fact the better lenses probably give you better quality in regular 16mm than in s16 with old c-mounts, so you can even use an eclair, cp-16 or arri bl.

if he does go with the a-cam there are c-mount lenses that have built in viewfinders. i have one but i've yet to try it with the a-cam. i did a projection test though and it does cover super 16 except at the very widest setting. i have access to an a-cam so the only thing stopping me is that i don't have any film on daylight spools to test it with. i get my film (short ends) for free so i'm not gonna buy any either. ;-)

/matt
ccortez

Post by ccortez »

matt - you have to post a picture if you attach that beast to an a-cam. :)
steve hyde

Post by steve hyde »

I projection tested an Angeniuex 17-68 with a dogleg finder on it. It does cover super 16. I also hung it on an A-cam. See images below. I never did film test it though. I decided to use a Bell and Howell Filmo instead.

Anyway - there is an option. Can't say that I recommend it though. Matt's advice looks good.

all the best,

Steve
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Those dog-leg lenses are FUNNY! My partner has a couple and they're NOT good lenses, though I'm not speaking for all lenses with viewfinders.
9mm is a bit on the wide side for super-16. I wouldn't use anything less than 12mm unless you're shooting in really cramped spaces all the time.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Recommend it...

Why not??

Someone has to try it.

It has been the small unit I have been lusting after for the last 4 years. Now, I just somehow need to tell myself that it is wise to invest in a sinking ship.

Good Luck