The State of British Film Making

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dantheman

Post by dantheman »

I never said that it wasn't shot on digital!

They used the "shutter speed" setting on the Canon XL-1 (although as far as I know digital cameras don't have shutters.....)

And it ISN'T all shot on digital. Alan Doyle, who posts on this site worked on the film shooting super 8. I believe it made it into the final cut.
Cine_Monkey

Ohhhhh

Post by Cine_Monkey »

Ohhhh dear looks like I touched a nerve there!!!

:!:
Lucas Lightfeat

Post by Lucas Lightfeat »

Yeah, it's shot on an XL1 S with the mini 35 lens system, but on the making of on the DVD, there is a cine camera shooting straight down from above - I couldn't make out the model - perhaps a 4008 with lots of gubbins on it (a blimp!). It was certainaly cine sized, and black - not an XL1.

To be honest, its tempting me to go digital, but I will probably just go 16 again in a year or so and get some good crew and cash behind me. It's got to be better, but I'm not going to dis them for shooting digital - I think it's fine and dandy, to be honest. I think we're loonies, but that's cool too ;)

Lucas
Technicolor

Re: Ohhhhh

Post by Technicolor »

Cine_Monkey wrote:Ohhhh dear looks like I touched a nerve there!!!

:!:
Dans has got a point there you know, he never actually said it wasnt shot on digital :roll:
James
Cine_Monkey

Too Beautiful

Post by Cine_Monkey »

Dont u all go flaming me now, look at my pic, im far too beautiful and lovely to be hated :wink:
Technicolor

Re: Too Beautiful

Post by Technicolor »

Cine_Monkey wrote:Dont u all go flaming me now, look at my pic, im far too beautiful and lovely to be hated :wink:
Ahh that it is, what exactly is happening in that photo by the way? It looks like you've just had a nasty accident involving something sharp and/or hot!
James
Cine_Monkey

sat on something nice?

Post by Cine_Monkey »

LOL

Actually that pic was taken for my driving licence, and the look I was trying to get was something sexy and sultry, but it diddt quite work!!!

Its a funny pic of me tho - I get told i look like Dean Cain or val kilmer !!!!!

God Imagine that being projected onto a 6 foot screen! "shudder"![/i]
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Heya,

Obviously, I take myself and my technological knowledge very seriously Cine_Monkey :wink:

A bit like your good self judging from the photo...

On a serious note, good to have you on the site.

All the best and certainly no raw nerves touched, bruised or otherwise poked with anything sharp and hot....
Cine_Monkey

Thanks Dan

Post by Cine_Monkey »

Hiya Dan the Man,

Im really sorry If I offended you, i relly diddnt mean too, I think just text on here can sound ambigous, if you met me and spoke to me Im actually a really nice bloke - I just overuse capital letters on here!!!! :)

Thanks for the welcome its a great board isnt it.

Dan, what problem did u have with the widescreen centre? I orderred my camera yesterday from them and the old lady that took my order sounded like Mrs Slcombe from "are u being served"!!!!!!

AND do u know what! - I spent £200 and they wouldnt even give me a free film!! Grrrrrrr
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Heya,

Yeah, I reckon it probably sounded worse than you meant it - but equally, I wasn't really pissed off or anything!!

Not a huge problem really. I've read what other people have said about how the Widescreen centre is a good resource to have - and I must admit I went down there recently and bought their super8 emulsion test DVD, and found them in friendly form (although rather surreally the Burglar alarm was going off really loudly and everyone seemed to be carrying on as if nothing was happening...It was like somthing out of a David Lynch movie)

In the past, I've found them quite rude. I also think their prices for some filmstocks and other items are too high. I probably sounded more embittered than I really am - but I wanted to set the cat among the pidgeons - start a debate. I'm sure I'll continue to buy stuff from there, but not before shopping around.

All the best
Daniel