Shooting in reverse..=> Looking for film examples?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

DavTail

Shooting in reverse..=> Looking for film examples?

Post by DavTail »

Hi everybody!

I'm belgian cinematographer student and I'm looking for some different examples of the shooting in reverse used.

I know one in Dracula from Coppola that is verry impressed. The body behavior of Dracula's womens is really strange.
An other one in Abyss from James Cameron that is more dicrete..

This is verry difficult to know in which film i'm going to find some others examples, I have to be lucky!

Shooting in reverse can be used for many reasons and I really need to know all then if anybody have an idea, thank you verry much to answer...

David..
mattias

Post by mattias »

there are three or four reverse shots in my lisa lindal video, see homepage. the editor came up with it because he thought it made her face more interesting when there was little movement. we hadn't planned for it in advance but it's certainly something i'll keep in mind n the future because it really works. lisa has a great face but in reverse it becomes mesmerizing.

(can you tell which shots they are?)

/matt
DavTail

Post by DavTail »

Thanks Mattias!! Her face is verry mesmerizing, she 's beautifull!
the effect works verry much! because you can't see it at first time but you feel something strange in her glance.
There is quite the same used in Abyss. In the film, a guy of the submarine crew is becoming insane and the situation is in tension. The man looks crazy, his eyelid move really strangely and he don't know how to control his eyes. It's a verry short shot but as in your lisa lindal video, you feel something strange.

I also saw a music video that every shots are in reverse... coldplay, the scientist.. the singer had to sing the playback in reverse!

Do you know where can I find others examples?
El Jeffe

Post by El Jeffe »

Spike Jonze did the music video "drop" by pharcyde. Probably the best example of shooting in reverse that I can think of.
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Drop is amazing, I own the Spike Jonze DVD I guess they had a linguist help them out for the lip sync even though they lip every line. I also suggest watching any Michel Gondry/Norman McLaren. For Gondry specifically, Beck's Deadweight has interesting use of reverse shot footage, plus Gondry solving a rubics cube and another video that has his movie Science of Sleep in a blender. Science of Sleep and Eternal Sunshine themselves have their fair share of reversing.
videoguy326

Post by videoguy326 »

Here's a cool R.E.M. music video that uses reverse extensivly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEhT2QlRBMo

From Wikipedia:
The single's video, depicting a scene of an elaborate pool party, was shot in Los Angeles by Garth Jennings. Michael Stipe, in an interview with MTV UK in 2001, explained how the video was made. "The entire video took twenty seconds to shoot. What you're watching is a loop that goes forwards for twenty seconds, backwards for twenty seconds, forwards for twenty seconds, backwards for twenty seconds [Mills, sitting on Stipe's right, sways left to right accordingly as the frontman illustrates his point], with one camera, static, and then using a technique called 'pan and scan', which is a technical thing that is used when they go from a widescreen format and reformat to fit your television or DVD, moving in on certain parts of the entire picture. And you'll see that we do that picking up various people within the frame."
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

This reminds me of the Straight 8 Festival film (I cant remember names or titles on it) where they shot with the camera upside down, and projected it from the tail end.
100D and Vision 3 please
timdrage

Post by timdrage »

TWIN PEAKS
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

Norwood Cheek's - 'Cold' - shot on Super 8 is a kinda cool example...

http://www.flickerla.com/cold2a.mov
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

"Beauty and the Beast" by Cocteau. People come in and out of mirrors. Very strange and beautiful in-camera effect.
Robert Hughes