60 Seconds to Save the Earth

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

60 Seconds to Save the Earth

Post by npcoombs »

Hi All

In addition to my Citizen Super-8 work I am currently doing some outreach for Current TV UK.

They have a contest running which is called 60 Seconds to Save the Earth and involves directing 15, 30 or 60 seconds spots about how to avert climate change. They can be humorous, deadly serious, entirely visual or presenter-led, it's complete up to you.

http://www.current.com/ecospot

The best 20 will be decided by a jury of people like George Clooney, Cameron Diaz etc. And the best 40 broadcast internationally. The winner gets a Toyota hybrid car.

These guys hired me knowing I've got a bit of a Super-8 background, so I am sure there would be no problem with film formats either!

Only UK, US or Ireland though.

Anyway send me an email to ncoombs@currentmedia.com and if you are UK based give me a call on 020 70704840

Cheers!
Nathan
downix

Post by downix »

I'm part of the US team myself, it's quite fun, altho due to audio issues I've realized, I have no CLUE how to do audio. *groan* my project is almost a month late because of it at this point.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

downix wrote:I'm part of the US team myself, it's quite fun, altho due to audio issues I've realized, I have no CLUE how to do audio. *groan* my project is almost a month late because of it at this point.
Hey! What part of the team, what are you doing over there?
downix

Post by downix »

Current Journalism segment in Florida. I need to start putting out calls for audio guys at this rate. Oy vey, I should have gone with my first instinct and done the voiceover technique.
fireflame productions

Post by fireflame productions »

Damn! I'm not over 18.
i supose i could let my dad enter it in his name.
mattias

Re: 60 Seconds to Save the Earth

Post by mattias »

npcoombs wrote:The winner gets a Toyota hybrid car.
wouldn't public transportation tickets be more appropriate? :-)

/matt
fireflame productions

Post by fireflame productions »

I know. They promote a healthier earth and they give away an ozone layer harming car?? :lol:
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

I know, let's make a no smoking ad contest. The winner gets a pack of Camels! :P
Robert Hughes
mattias

Post by mattias »

audadvnc wrote:I know, let's make a no smoking ad contest. The winner gets a pack of Camels! :P
no, camel lights, the hybrid cigarette. :-)

/matt
Bjarne Eldhuset

Post by Bjarne Eldhuset »

Real camels are the real hybrids!:
Camels are well known for their humps. They do not, however, store water in them as is commonly believed, though they do serve this purpose through roundabout means. Their humps are a reservoir of fatty tissue. However, when this tissue is metabolised, it is not only a source of energy, but yields through reaction with oxygen from the air 1,111 g of water per 1,000 g of fat converted. Though this metabolization of the fat generates a net loss of water through respiration during the process.

Their ability to withstand long periods without water is due to a series of physiological adaptations, as described below.

Their red blood cells have an oval shape, unlike those of other mammals, which are circular. This is to facilitate their flow in a dehydrated state. These cells are also more stable[1], in order to withstand high osmotic variation without rupturing, when drinking large amounts of water (20-25 gallons in one drink).

The kidneys of a camel are very efficient. Urine comes out as a thick syrup and their feces are so dry that they can fuel fires.

Camels are able to withstand changes in body temperature and water content that would kill most other animals. Their temperature ranges from 34°C (93°F) at night up to 41°C (106°F) at day, and only above this threshold will they begin to sweat. The upper body temperature range is often not reached during the day in milder climatic conditions and therefore the camel may not sweat at all during the day. Evaporation of their sweat takes place at the skin level not at the surface of their coat, thereby being very efficient at cooling the body compared to the amount of water lost through sweating. This ability to fluctuate body temperature and the efficiency of their sweating allows them to preserve about five litres of water a day.

A feature of their nostrils is that a large amount of water vapor in their exhalations is trapped and returned to the camels body fluids, thereby reducing the amount of water lost through respiration.

They can withstand at least 20-25% weight loss due to sweating (most mammals can only withstand about 3-4% dehydration before cardiac failure results from the thickened blood). A camel's blood remains hydrated even though the body fluids are lost; until this 25% limit is reached.

Camels eating green herbage can ingest sufficient moisture in milder conditions to maintain their body's hydrated state without the need for drinking.

Exhibition Camels munching Neem leaves on a street at Guntur, India.

A camel's thick coat reflects sunlight. A shorn camel has to sweat 50% more to avoid overheating. It also insulates them from the intense heat that radiates from hot desert sand. Their long legs help by keeping them further from the hot ground. Camels have been known to swim if given the chance.

Their mouth is very sturdy, able to chew thorny desert plants. Long eyelashes and ear hairs, together with sealable nostrils, form an effective barrier against sand. Their pace (moving both legs on one side at the same time) and their widened feet help them move without sinking into the sand.

All member species of the Camelids are known to have a highly unusual immune system, where part of the antibody repertoire is composed of immunoglobulins without light chain[clarify]. Whether and how this contributes to their resistance to harsh environments is currently unknown.

Not a behavioral aspect of the camel, but of genuine interest, is the fact that the camel is the only animal to have replaced the wheel (mainly in North Africa) where the wheel had already been established. The camel was not removed from the top of the transport industry in these areas until the wheel was combined with the internal combustion engine in the 20th century.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camel
npcoombs

Re: 60 Seconds to Save the Earth

Post by npcoombs »

mattias wrote:
npcoombs wrote:The winner gets a Toyota hybrid car.
wouldn't public transportation tickets be more appropriate? :-)

/matt
I won't deny that the though crossed my mind!
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Any other takers for the 60 Seconds film campaign/contest?

Also if you are in the UK and have any factual stuff you may want to upload to Current get in touch with me at ncoombs@currentmedia.com or 020 70704840
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I'm in the U.S. ;(
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com