No video cameras allowed so what about super 8?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

kevin jackman

Post by kevin jackman »

vid·e·o (vÄ­d'Ä“-Å
Blue Audio Visual

Post by Blue Audio Visual »

The word "video" was coined in the 1930s, way before there were any 'video cameras' as we understand the word today. This thread is getting needlessly pedantic.

Mattias got it right in the first place:

No, obviously you can't take a super 8 camera if they don't allow video; any other interpretation is playing stupid.

IMO nothing else really needs to be added.
Carlos 8mm

Post by Carlos 8mm »

If they don´t want video cameras inside, then they shouldn´t want digital photo cameras and cell phones that can takes video.

That´s reminds me (by opposition) The Beatles´s first concert in Washington. You can see kids filming and taping the performance freely. Those where the days...
Carlos.
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

Video litterally means "to see". That said, anything that captures an image can be considered video of some sort but they make the stipulation that still photos are acceptible. Therefore, they're operating under the pretense that any kind of image motion recording is banned and therefore super-8 falls under that category. In short, don't bring your super-8 camera to the circus.
On an off note, the first flying spot cameras were invented in the late 30s and they were definitely a form of electronic video camera.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

I used to think people were going to hit me with the ol' "Why are you still using one of those?" lecture, but find that much more often they don't even remember "one of those" anymore and don't know the difference.

This is why you see all those "Super-8 Camcorder" auctions on E-bay and why the sellers can't try them out "because they don't have a tape".

I had to explain the difference to a security guy at an airport once and it took some large fraction of a minute for the light to dawn for him, and it's not even as if he was so young he'd not been around pre-camcorder.

More and more I keep hearing people talking about "video shot back in the 30s", as if "video" recording was state of the art back then. Once again, they don't know the difference and they don't care.

Much the same, most people in the seats in the movie theaters aren't conscious of how the picture gets on the screen and as long as the picture quality doesn't change drastically a shift from projected film to digital or vice versa will basically go unnoticed if unannounced and not understood even if announced.

So explaining why a movie camera isn't a camcorder to some 19 year old movie usher sounds a little futile to me.
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

double post
Last edited by BolexPlusX on Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Audio Visual

wado1942 wrote:Video litterally means "to see".
"Video" means "I see", the infinitive "videre" is "to see".

Now I'm getting really pedantic.

Bart
zantizoom8

Post by zantizoom8 »

BolexPlusX wrote:
I had to explain the difference to a security guy at an airport once ......
So explaining why a movie camera isn't a camcorder to some 19 year old movie usher sounds a little futile to me.
Had a flight attendant think that my Bolex 150 was an automatic weapon when i tossed it on my seat while stowing my carry-on, then had the Captain lean in on me for a close inspection before i could film his roll up and take off from my window seat. Oh, and the x-ray security guy only asked if that "thing" in my bag was a typewriter. :!: true story

Zanti
Forward, into the past.
Muckymuck

Post by Muckymuck »

[quote="Blue Audio Visual"][quote="wado1942"]Video litterally means "to see".[/quote]

"Video" means "I see", the infinitive "videre" is "to see".

Now I'm getting really pedantic.

Bart[/quote]

I see someone else did latin at school! :D
BolexPlusX

Post by BolexPlusX »

I had my Bolex 150 mounted on a tripod one day and a guy asked if I was a surveyor. I guess all that was missing was a hard hat, an orange vest and the other guy with the stick!

Something more modern looking like a Minolta XL-401 passes for a camcorder every time. I had one of mine laying on it's side on the table one day when we were out to lunch and the waitress said "That camera is so slim!". My wife said "That's a movie camera" and the waitress responded "Yes." as if to say "Right, a camcorder", so we let it go right there.

I was filming with it near Munich and I put it up to my eye and pressed the trigger. As soon as the guy next to me heard the gears grinding, he got this kind of shocked expression. I think HE knew the difference.
wado1942

Post by wado1942 »

I went on a short tour with my band and brought a cheapie super-8 cam I got at a thrift store for $3. I got a lot of weird looks when I had it. It was easily the worst camera I've ever used and totally underexposed everything so I gave it to a friend that collects cameras. But on our ship, I ordered some drinks when I had my camera with me and the bartender (who didn't speak very good English) had no idea what it was.
I may sound stupid, but I hide it well.
http://www.gcmstudio.com
mattias

Post by mattias »

Muckymuck wrote:The owner can decide randomly and arbitrarily that they don't want pictures taken
funny thing that it's not what you're taking a picture of that determines if it's allowed or not, but where you're standing while taking it. something paparazzi photographers and telephoto lens manufacturers have known since before modern history. ;-)

/matt
Blue Audio Visual

As someone I used to work with once said - "17mm - Money shot. 600mm - Stalker's choice."
super8man

Post by super8man »

I would whip out this camera of mine:

EVERYONE would think its a still camera.

m
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
lastcoyote

Post by lastcoyote »

I'm sure the video camera or movie camera are the same thing to them. I would simply bring in a digital camera with movie function.

or you explain to the guy the different between video and film... end up spend the whole show time explaning... forget it. Bring a gun!
When my life finish, every single frame of my films loop my thought…