Kodak 200t and 500t - Questions and Example Clips

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

RET80

Kodak 200t and 500t - Questions and Example Clips

Post by RET80 »

I have some Kodak 200t and 500t stock footage. What is the difference between them?
Is one specifically used for indoor and the other is outdoor and are there any interesting shooting strategies to achieve the best image quality using either both of those stock or one stock specifically.

Also I am looking for high quality example clips of the 200t and 500t in action, preferably in DivX format because youtube does not show any justice of the true super 8 format. I am also trying to compile special effects footage over a shot super 8 stock to see if I can mimic its artistic nature with CGI, mattes and etc.

Thank you all so much.
mattias

Post by mattias »

they look exactly the same, the only difference is grain. use 500t for dimly lit scenes, and the 200t for well lit as well as low light scenes. the latter may sound contradictory but 500t has too much shadow grain to work with blacks, it's generally better to have solid blacks.

/matt
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

mattias wrote: the latter may sound contradictory but 500t has too much shadow grain to work with blacks, it's generally better to have solid blacks.
Yeah that's probably why my night, bonfire scenes on 500T came out so well. I had been speculating about why there was so little grain in that scene.
avr

Post by avr »

Hi this is an example of 500T shot with a Canon 814 XLS 18 fps and 220 degree shutter

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/721752/ju ... ompostela/
RET80

Post by RET80 »

avr wrote:Hi this is an example of 500T shot with a Canon 814 XLS 18 fps and 220 degree shutter

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/721752/ju ... ompostela/
Fascinating! Very good example of a night shooting with 200t, thank you.
kevin jackman

Post by kevin jackman »

is there anyway to get an uncompressed version of the video so we can see it in all its glory?
RET80

Post by RET80 »

Yes, would anyone have any raw footage of 200t in action. The only 'uncompressed' footage I have is a DVD of Bleak Future.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Keep in mind that you see Vision2 500T every day as it is the most popular film stock for TV and motion pictures. Now if we could only afford a 35mm camera...
toby_tools

Post by toby_tools »

You can afford a 35mm camera, check out Konvas Camera, shoot short ends. Search for Konvas on ebay.
Better than any HD available.

Toby
mattias

Post by mattias »

toby_tools wrote:You can afford a 35mm camera [...] Better than any HD available
define better. is a ferrari better than a scooter to get from a to b during rush hour in rome?

/matt
toby_tools

Post by toby_tools »

mattias wrote:
toby_tools wrote:You can afford a 35mm camera [...] Better than any HD available
define better. is a ferrari better than a scooter to get from a to b during rush hour in rome?

/matt
Mattias'
I much prefer the look of film over video. So to me film is far better than video. Even the much talked about RED camera at 4K still looks like video to me. Just my opinion. You should drop $300.00 on Konvas 1M on Ebay.
shoot a few short ends 200ft $35.00.
I've seen your film work and it speaks for itself, so I wonder if your just looking for an argument?
RET80

Post by RET80 »

toby_tools wrote:
mattias wrote:

/matt
Mattias'
I much prefer the look of film over video. So to me film is far better than video. Even the much talked about RED camera at 4K still looks like video to me. Just my opinion. You should drop $300.00 on Konvas 1M on Ebay.
shoot a few short ends 200ft $35.00.
I've seen your film work and it speaks for itself, so I wonder if your just looking for an argument?
I don't see anywhere where he was talking about video. I'm pretty sure he was referencing to another film camera.
mattias

Post by mattias »

toby_tools wrote:I much prefer the look of film over video.
i thought so, but it still doesn't define better. this is not a board where people will go either wow or mad when you tell them that 35mm "looks better" than hd, so you'd better come up with something better. ;-)
I wonder if your just looking for an argument?
sort of. not a fight mind you, but while an arri 535 is probably "better" than most hd cameras in most situations i bet a lot of people would get more out of an f900 than a konvas. what good is a 35mm image if it's not what the director wanted since he didn't have a videotap? and what does looping the entire soundtrack do the quality of your film? yes, i'm sure you can blimp the konvas and add a video tap, but then you can't afford film anymore, and you need a new tripod, which means you can't afford to eat either. see my point?

/matt
BigBeaner

Post by BigBeaner »

Always my solution: Just rent the equipment. Those Konvas on Ebay have pretty small mags, in my opinion with lil less than 5 minute run time.

Didn't a board user have a page of just all various film stock examples shot on Super 8 based on the film he made? I remember seeing 200T and others, including a Fuji stock. I don't have any examples myself, but I do have various photos etc. of 16mm stocks, no video though.
audadvnc

Post by audadvnc »

toby_tools wrote:You can afford a 35mm camera, check out Konvas Camera, shoot short ends. Search for Konvas on ebay.
Better than any HD available.
Toby
Also Devrie and Eyemo cameras as found on that auction site. My Eyemo 71Q takes 400' magazines, but it's noisy as a Milwaukee drill. So plan to shoot silent and dub your audio. And it's non-reflex, so framing and focus are merely approximate. And 400' of film flies by in about 4 minutes. 8O
Certainly pricier! ( As for myself I think good HD looks great. It's just different. )
Robert Hughes