More Super-8 Cities on 4Docs! watch online

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

npcoombs

More Super-8 Cities on 4Docs! watch online

Post by npcoombs »

Gavin Lim's IDENTITY (Singapore) and Pelle Koornstra's PARADISE (Amsetrdam) are up in short-cut form on 4Docs.

There is some meandering and irrelevant prose from the editor cautioning against this style of documentary, which apparently went out of fashion in the sixties (god forbid), please put this to one side and judge for yourselves.

If you like the films, pleasle some positive ratings and reviews.

Singapore: http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/film/f ... p?id=39426

Amsterdam: http://www.channel4.com/fourdocs/film/f ... p?id=39445

And in addition to this SUPER-8 CITIES will be showing in its entirety with it's own dedicated slot in the Brief Encounters festival - one of the UK's best short film events!
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

In response to the editor's comments on Gavin's film I wrote:

The editor of 4Docs wrote "Like the other films in this series of personal urban portraits there needs to be the added element that cities are not buildings, traffic, weather, rules or regulations - cities are 'other people'."

To clarify, the rules of Super-8 Cities forbade the use of on-camera interviews, camera pans etc. and required the use of a commentary. These rules were designed to create an alternative form of documentary-making harking back to earlier observational styles. In doing so, we hoped to create a unique set of films that stand apart from conventional documentary norms. There was also a sense that in the documentary field the personal voice of the director is constantly devalued in favour of rooting out explicit 'human interest stories' that create their own unreality, but in a less transparent way. Many are tired with the onslaught of these headumentaries, which is probably what inspired so many filmmakers to contribute to this project.

The editor's rejection of the unorthodox style of the films has obviously caused him/her to overlook the depth of Gavin's discussion of Singapore's soul. However, many have found this film brilliant (it is also a personal favourite of mine) - and I think whether you appreciate the film depends upon how flexible you are to bend from your expectations of what a "real documentary" is.
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

Well, the 4docs page seems to be offline at the moment. I'll check again later.

EDIT: I could only watch Identity because the server is shit. Marvelous short though.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

freddiesykes wrote:Well, the 4docs page seems to be offline at the moment. I'll check again later.

EDIT: I could only watch Identity because the server is shit. Marvelous short though.
Cool! Glad you liked it, please leave a rating and a review if you can.

The DVD is cool too!
Plastik

Post by Plastik »

i watched both - very good.
Identity was especially good.
I'll make sure I become a member so that I can rate all films.
Ertugrul Togacay
filmo

My favorite of all the ones I've seen is EXETER

Post by filmo »

good narrative, nice pacing, excellent cinematography....looks like it was shot on negative...

some super 8 films constantly remind the viewer that super 8 was once a home movie format, due to poor focus/exposure or shaky camerawork. Sometimes this can be charming, but often it's just distracting.

But when I was watching Exeter I forgot I was watching a "super 8" movie and instead was able to absorb the beautiful relationship between the narrative and the images.

Such beautiful footage. Looks like it was shot on neg stock, too....
npcoombs

Re: My favorite of all the ones I've seen is EXETER

Post by npcoombs »

filmo wrote: But when I was watching Exeter I forgot I was watching a "super 8" movie and instead was able to absorb the beautiful relationship between the narrative and the images.

Such beautiful footage. Looks like it was shot on neg stock, too....
Great. I'm really glad you liked it, at least someone apprecaites my little film :wink:

Please do register with the site and leave some ratings and reviews. It really does make a difference and help promote our cause!
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

Plastik wrote:i watched both - very good.
Identity was especially good.
I'll make sure I become a member so that I can rate all films.
Please do - it REALLY helps!
filmo

Post by filmo »

nbcoombs--you did Exeter?
I really liked that work.
Beautiful pictures.
npcoombs

Post by npcoombs »

filmo wrote:nbcoombs--you did Exeter?
I really liked that work.
Beautiful pictures.
Yup. Please leave a review and good rating for the film since you liked it. Takes about two minutes to register and all that.