Bolex H8 RX Spindle Adapters

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

sciolist

Bolex H8 RX Spindle Adapters

Post by sciolist »

I'm looking for a source of supply for spindle adapters to permit the fitting of square hole 100-foot daylight film reels to the round spindles of Bolex H8 RX cameras. Any recommendations?
clivetobin

Re: Bolex H8 RX Spindle Adapters

Post by clivetobin »

sciolist wrote:I'm looking for a source of supply for spindle adapters to permit the fitting of square hole 100-foot daylight film reels to the round spindles of Bolex H8 RX cameras. Any recommendations?
Chambless Cine in Georgia used to have these.
sciolist

Re: Bolex H8 RX Spindle Adapters

Post by sciolist »

clivetobin wrote:Chambless Cine in Georgia used to have these.
That's where I looked first. Chambless had shown these items as out of stock for months, but the notation in his catalog is now Manufacturer has Stopped Production.
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

Talk to him. He sold me some after that post.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Jesse Chambless hasn't replied to my repeated e-mail requests, so I've found another authorized Bolex representative in the USA - Dieter Schaefer at Procam - who can supply the spindle adapters. It's possible to contact Mr. Schaefer by telephone, too, which makes it a lot easier to do business with him.

The Procam website is http://bolex-usa.com/.
paulcotto

Post by paulcotto »

Some film projector reels come with plastic ones to convert them between standard-8 and super-8. Have a look around on ebay and examine the photos closely to find the ones that do.

Regards,
Paul Cotto
Don't worry about equipment so much and make your movie!
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

paulcotto wrote:Some film projector reels come with plastic ones to convert them between standard-8 and super-8. Have a look around on ebay and examine the photos closely to find the ones that do.

Regards,
Paul Cotto
I wish it was so simple. The spindle adapters I've described are needed for daylight loading film reels for the camera and not for film reels used on a projector. The snap-in plastic inserts you mention allow the use of Super 8 reels on regular 8mm equipment. Handy and inexpensive (about $1.50 each), they're different from the metal spindle adapters I need ($12.00 each), which convert the round spindles of the Bolex H8 RX to square spindles.
studiocarter

Post by studiocarter »

My H8RX worked without them; then I got one; then I got another one. Now it is very difficult to put the spool onto the post. It goes on eventually but it is darn near impossible in a bag.

Michael Carter
david

Post by david »

I know this is slightly off topic but I prefer not to open a new thread for such a simple question. I found a shop close to where I live that sells foma r100, but only in 10mt spools. I have a bolex ds8, will those spools fit on my camera? I only used the 30mt so far, and I've never seen a 10mt spool so I don't really know.
thanks
david
edit: my uncle found a bolex regular8 but I haven't seen it yet. I suspect it's not a h8, is there any of the smaller bolex cameras that fits the 10mt spool? This shop sells both r8-ds8 so I'd like to buy some to test this camera too.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

david wrote:I know this is slightly off topic but I prefer not to open a new thread for such a simple question. I found a shop close to where I live that sells foma r100, but only in 10mt spools. I have a bolex ds8, will those spools fit on my camera? I only used the 30mt so far, and I've never seen a 10mt spool so I don't really know.
thanks
david
edit: my uncle found a bolex regular8 but I haven't seen it yet. I suspect it's not a h8, is there any of the smaller bolex cameras that fits the 10mt spool? This shop sells both r8-ds8 so I'd like to buy some to test this camera too.
Daylight loading reels have either a round or square hole in the center. In my experience, Bolex H8 RX cameras have round spindles and Bolex H8 RX cameras converted to DS8 have square spindles. The film you buy for your DS8 must not only have the right kind of reel but the film must also be DS8 film, which has perforations entirely different from those of regular 8mm film. You must ask the shop owner what kind of film he/she is offering.

The smaller Bolex regular 8mm cameras (L8, B8, C8, B8L, D8L, B8LA, C8LA, P1, P2, P3, P4, K1, K2) accept 25-foot reels only (maybe these are described as 10m reels elsewhere).
david

Post by david »

sciolist wrote: In my experience, Bolex H8 RX cameras have round spindles and Bolex H8 RX cameras converted to DS8 have square spindles.
right, my spools have square holes and my camera has square spindles.
sciolist wrote:The film you buy for your DS8 must not only have the right kind of reel but the film must also be DS8 film, which has perforations entirely different from those of regular 8mm film. You must ask the shop owner what kind of film he/she is offering.
Of course, in fact I said they sell both regular8 and ds8, but for some reason this shop has got it in 10mt spools only. I called them before posting here, but they didn't know. The cans are sealed too, so I thought it would be easier to ask here.
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

Bolex H8 RX cameras are designed to accommodate 25ft., 50ft., and 100ft. daylight reels. There are film retainer arms in the film compartment that must be adjusted to suit each size.
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I've got an Elmo Zoom 8-TL with the Long Film Magazine TL-100. That's got round spindles and something like a pin to catch the square film spool hole. The Elmo branded 100' spool that's in the camera has square holes on both sides.

The 100' spools I'm collecting to send to Mr. Nowill in Putney, (to reperf two expired 400' VNF films I bought on Ebay recently) all have one square and one round hole...

Does this mean that I'll have to file a notch into the round hole of my 16mm 100' spools?

Gianni
sciolist

Post by sciolist »

gianni1 wrote:I've got an Elmo Zoom 8-TL with the Long Film Magazine TL-100. That's got round spindles and something like a pin to catch the square film spool hole. The Elmo branded 100' spool that's in the camera has square holes on both sides.

The 100' spools I'm collecting to send to Mr. Nowill in Putney, (to reperf two expired 400' VNF films I bought on Ebay recently) all have one square and one round hole...

Does this mean that I'll have to file a notch into the round hole of my 16mm 100' spools?

Gianni
For reels/spools that have to be flipped in the magazine, those you describe - with a round hole on one side and square hole on the opposite side - would seem to be unsuitable. While I suppose it would be possible to file the round hole of each spool, it should not be difficult to find spools made to fit the magazine properly.

The Elmo Zoom 8-TL is a lovely camera.
morales72

Post by morales72 »

Hi to all

I've just got my new Bolex H8 Rex-4 DS8 converted having square spindles and it seems they are soldered or something, thus I cannot use 10m DS8 spools anymore. It's strange, because the one I bought first (Rex) had those spindle adapters, so it was easy to switch between 10m and 30m spools. Does anybody know if these square spindles are fixed from modification?

Thanks and best regards,

Morales