Cheap Ektachrome/plus X/ Tri X

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

dantheman

Cheap Ektachrome/plus X/ Tri X

Post by dantheman »

Heya all,

Following the posts about cheap K40 on the net, does anyone know where the other Super 8 stocks might be available cheap, either over the web or at a shop (in London)?????

The only place I know of at the moment is the widescreen centre, but I don't want to buy a load only to find it's cheaper elsewhere!
Best regards
Daniel
MovieMaker

Post by MovieMaker »

Hi dantheman,
I´m selling the Plus-X and Tri-X for € 16,20,- each cartridge in our webshop -> http://www.hollywood-shop.com. Enter and go to "Super-8 Filmmaterial". If you need any help, please ask!

Payment is accepted for example through PayPal.

(Hate to do publicity on this forum, but had to give this hint...). Otherwise maybe another member knows of a company near you?

MovieMaker
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Cool!

Do you ship to the UK? Is that included? Do you accept payment in sterling - how much would it be?
Cheers
Dan
drsanchez

go to kodak

Post by drsanchez »

I don't think anyone beats Kodak's price. Even with shipping overseas. I think TriX/PlusX is about USD$10 per roll. You might have to wait a week or so for shipping, but if you buy in bulk, it might be worth it.
dr.sanchez, son of a midwestern bureaucrat
wahiba

Post by wahiba »

The prices seem fair, even including I suspect 20% VAT, and the lousy exchange rate. Sooner we adopt the Euro in the UK the better. I assume that is the Austrian equivalent of VAT at the bottom.

Paying through PayPal is a good idea. Set up an account, sell some stuff on eBay to build up the account and then you would not notice that you are actually spending the money. I keep acquiring cine cameras this way so about time I went after some film. Assuming we get some decent weather to film in 8)
New web site and this is cine page http://www.picsntech.co.uk/cine.html
Angus

Post by Angus »

For the UK try lees camears http://www.leescameras.co.uk

The Widescreen Centre are not ever cheap, they are very expensive.....but they have the expertese to offer advice and help.

I don't know if Simply Cine are still operating http://www.simplycine.co.uk

The cheap suppliers are interested in products that sell in significant quantities. I asked 7dayshop if they would consider selling 7240 and the B&W stocks. They looked seriously at it but with the likely numbers they'd sell they couldn't negotiate a sufficiently advantageous price with Kodak.

Obviously there is a hell of a lot more K40 sold than the other reversal stocks.
MovieMaker

Post by MovieMaker »

wahiba wrote:The prices seem fair, even including I suspect 20% VAT, and the lousy exchange rate. Sooner we adopt the Euro in the UK the better. I assume that is the Austrian equivalent of VAT at the bottom.
That´s correct. 20% VAT is a pain in the u know. And as I stated in another thread - profit on Kodak products is marginal. Selling Super-8 products is more or less my two cents to help other users getting their hands on films/accessories and make this format accessible in a broad area. (OK, where´s my gloriole?)

Just love that gauge and want to have others have fun with it as well as I do....

MovieMaker
Splee

Post by Splee »

Angus wrote:The cheap suppliers are interested in products that sell in significant quantities. I asked 7dayshop if they would consider selling 7240 and the B&W stocks. They looked seriously at it but with the likely numbers they'd sell they couldn't negotiate a sufficiently advantageous price with Kodak.

Obviously there is a hell of a lot more K40 sold than the other reversal stocks.
Well, it's great that 7dayshop sell the Kodachrome - at 8.99, it is nearly six quid a roll cheaper than the Widescreen Centre. Perhaps all us UK users should contact 7dayshop and badger them to stock the other films. If we do this, and then actually buy the stuff, we might get somewhere.

7dayshop are excellent, by the way. Use them all the time for most of my photographic purchases.

Lee
Angus

Post by Angus »

Splee wrote:
7dayshop are excellent, by the way. Use them all the time for most of my photographic purchases.

Lee
Likewise.

I exchanged a few emails with their buyer who wanted to know what prices other supliers sell the stocks at, and where they can be processed. I think another problem 7dayshop had was selling a film where there is perceived difficulty processing.

Personally I sometimes process B&W by hand and 7240 I send to Andec in Berlin. I find that convenient enough but perhaps it puts some people off?
Splee

Post by Splee »

How much do you pay for your processing in Berlin?

The only other place I've found for UK processing is The Widescreen Centre.

Lee
Alex

Post by Alex »

I know my opinion is in the minority, but QUIT LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST PRICE!!!! 8O

If there's a human being behind the counter, and they know about Super-8, accept the fact that the price will have to be higher than when buying it from an unknown source farther away.

CELEBRATE the fact that you can go in to an actual location and talk to a human being who knows super-8 and can talk about it, and if they don't, they will after seeing your mug a few times.
Splee

Post by Splee »

Alex wrote:I know my opinion is in the minority, but QUIT LOOKING FOR THE CHEAPEST PRICE!!!! 8O

If there's a human being behind the counter, and they know about Super-8, accept the fact that the price will have to be higher than when buying it from an unknown source farther away.

CELEBRATE the fact that you can go in to an actual location and talk to a human being who knows super-8 and can talk about it, and if they don't, they will after seeing your mug a few times.
I accept what you're saying to some extent, but not entirely.

There are lots of Super 8 things I need help with, and the chaps in the Widescreen Centre are very helpful, but their films are expensive. I know which films I need, and I don't need help choosing them - I just need to buy them and get them processed at a good price.

Let's face it - Super 8 hardware is cheap, but compared to video, the running costs are astronomically high. I need to keep them down as much as I can.

I'll pay for knowledge when I need it, but when it comes to film, I can choose it myself and don't need to pay for any particular expertise.

Lee
Alex

Post by Alex »

Splee wrote:

I'll pay for knowledge when I need it, but when it comes to film, I can choose it myself and don't need to pay for any particular expertise.

Lee
This forum is free, (although it really isn't free if your the ADM of it :roll: ) and you can get a lot of info here, free, so in many ways you already receive something for free that you said you would be willing to pay for.

Since you can gain knowledge here for free, what other ways can you "help" keep Super-8 facilities prosperous other then by purchasing films, processing, or transfer services from them?

By the way, don't feel singled out, as I said, I am in the minority on this viewpoint.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Heya,

I agree with Splee. And in any case the people at the Widescreen centre (one of the few retailers who would know about super 8) are INCREDIBLY RUDE!

I have vowed to myself to never purchase anything from there if I can possibly avoid it. So screw them and their offhand, impatient manner! Screw them and their inflated prices!

(I know this'll set the cat among the pidgeons since some of the people on this site seem to have a strange loyalty to them, but personally I see no reason whatsoever to use their business)

Dan
Herb Montes

Post by Herb Montes »

Unlike some of you I don't have a person behind the counter to talk to. The photo shops don't sell movie film anymore. And the closest one has gotten rid of everything photographic. The shop is empty except for the one-hour film processing machine. At one shop I had to educate the person behind the counter about the old movie cameras he had on the shelf behind him. It seems the only source of knowledge about filmmaking lies with us who still maintain cameras and still shoot film. I imagine along with preserving old films the National Archives should also keep a few of us in cryogenic freeze to preserve the knowledge. Otherwise it will all die off with us.