Ekatchrome 100D the real heir of the K40

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Ugo

Ekatchrome 100D the real heir of the K40

Post by Ugo »

Yesterday I received the films I shot this summer. Six E64T and ONE wittnerchrome 100D (=ektachrome 100D).
that's was the first time I saw on my screen at home (2 metres) the E64T shot by myself.
Well, now I can say the E64T is HORRIBLE!!!!!
The problem isn't the grain but the sharpness! Sometimes the image seems coming out from "veil for spouse".
The big surprise was, instead, the E100D!!! This film is incredible. I shot with diafram 1.8, some minutes after the sunset. With my Leicina special the result was great great great! Perfect sharpness, very low grain (probably less than the K40) and nice colors!
That's the real heir of the K40 (and probably is better too!)
Now my question (John Pytlak where are you?): the E100D will come in double super8 officially by Kodak (news on Schmalfilm).
When the E100D in super 8 cartridges 15mt officially by Kodak??
Last edited by Ugo on Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Exactly, as soon as I get my Scoopic, I'll only be using 100D in color reversal. It blows K40 and 64T away.
100D and Vision 3 please
mr8mm

Post by mr8mm »

I contacted Kodak regarding production of 7285 100D in S8 carts. There was interest by the motion picture division to introduce 100D in S8 but at this time it is not going to happen. On reason for not offering S9 100D is that it is available from other sources such as Wittner. They did indicate that if there was enough interest they might reconsider.

John S.
Angus

Re: Ekatchrome 100D the real heir of the K40

Post by Angus »

Ugo wrote:(John Pytlak where are you?)
John is recovering from a mild heart attack.

Personally I agree that for projection 64T looks horrible compared to 100D which is lovely. Image-wise it is a worthy replacement for K40 - just not in terms of cost and archival properties. But it is a joy to shoot and to view on projection...haven't tried telecine yet but I expect the slightly reduced contrast compared to K40 will help it.

I do think that Kodak would sell quite a lot of 100D if they offered it officially in super 8 carts.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Isn't it too fast for a daylight stock? In bright sunlight don't you need to use an ND? I mean you can need f16 with K40! And if you are shooting fully stopped down you are not getting the best from the lens and have super huge depth of field. (I haven't tried it but I'm guessing this might be the case?)

Mark
Last edited by Sparky on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

From what I understand, 100D is already available in double S8 -- according to the folks at Spectra, it is already in Kodak's catalogue. I was also told by Spectra that they will soon be selling 100D in S8, most likely before the year's end. They will be splitting the double S8 stock and selling it in S8 cartridges.
Will2

Post by Will2 »

Guy Bennett wrote:From what I understand, 100D is already available in double S8 -- according to the folks at Spectra, it is already in Kodak's catalogue.
Not that I'm complaining, but how bizarre that it would be available as Double Super 8 and not Super 8. Great format, but I'm surprised they still support it.

Guess its easier since they don't have to put it in cartridges.
DrkAngl

Post by DrkAngl »

I heard the reason "double super 8" Ektachrome 100D is made is because it is also used for a toy similar to a viewmaster.

Combined sales of the viewmaster and places like Whittner and Spectra (who will slit and load the film) should assure its availability in double the super 8 format.
David M. Leugers

Post by David M. Leugers »

100D is available in DS8 right now from John Schwind at International Film ($40 for a 100ft roll!). I have been waiting for the fall colors to kick in to shoot my first roll of it. Can't wait.
Exactly, as soon as I get my Scoopic, I'll only be using 100D in color reversal.
T-Scan, do you mean the DS8mm version of the Scoopic or are you shooting 16mm? That is a great camera in either format. I find it easier to hand hold the camera steady than the smaller and lighter S-8mm cartdridge cameras. The handle and balance was well thought out.

David M. Leugers
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

It's the Scoopic DS8, ordered 2 rolls of 100D from John Schwind. I hope to be shooting some this week.
100D and Vision 3 please
Guy Bennett

Post by Guy Bennett »

Will2 wrote:Not that I'm complaining, but how bizarre that it would be available as Double Super 8 and not Super 8. Great format, but I'm surprised they still support it.

Guess its easier since they don't have to put it in cartridges.
I too found this to be strange. Perhaps it was one way to test the waters for possible Super 8 usage...
Actor

Post by Actor »

I would not want the 100D if it meant the discontinuance of 64T. To shoot 100D indoors you would need to use an 80 series filter which imposes a penatly of two stops. That means that under tungsten with the filter 100D effectively becomes 25T. I had enough trouble lighting for K40 (which was tungsten balanced). I dread having to squeeze out another 2/3 stop, or 1+1/3 stop compared to 64T.
cubdukat

Post by cubdukat »

Guy Bennett wrote:From what I understand, 100D is already available in double S8 -- according to the folks at Spectra, it is already in Kodak's catalogue. I was also told by Spectra that they will soon be selling 100D in S8, most likely before the year's end. They will be splitting the double S8 stock and selling it in S8 cartridges.
So Spectra's actually going ahead with it? That's excellent news.

Now I don't have to jump through a whole bunch of hoops to order from Wittner, at least for that...

Now, if only someone could convince them to distribute Wittnerchrome 40.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Ya, Spectra is going to do it... it will be fresh stuff too if they are slitting the Kodak DS8 to cart.
100D and Vision 3 please
Angus

Post by Angus »

The 100D is fine to use outdoors, even with an XL camera in the sun.

The one you cannot use outdoors realisticallyis 500T.

I appreciate there is a problem with 100D indoors, but....and I say this as a reversal enthusiast who has shot indoors himself....how many people use reversal film under tungsten lights these days?

Perhaps if Kodak are unwilling to offer both 100D and 64T....Kodak could offer 100D and Witther/Spectra 64T?

Really the 100D looks so much better in daylight I shall *not* be buying any more 64T.
The government says that by 2010 30% of us will be fat....I am merely a trendsetter :)