Funk Video

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Nigel

Funk Video

Post by Nigel »

I took a gig directing and shooting a music video for a local funk band. It could be a pretty good gig except the songs I had some ideas for they just didn't want to shoot. They want what I feel is a weak song...The lyrics are just crap. It does have a decent beat.

Does anyone know of a few funk videos online?? I need to look outside to shake the brain a bit.

Thanks
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Two bands that you may want to consider : Red Hot Chili Peppers
and Fishbone. Fishbone isn't a funk bank , more like punk funk.
A really good video with a Funk vibe is OUTKAST's " B.O.B. (Bombs over Baghdad). Now, the fathers of funk are George Clinton and Parliament
Funkadelic. Just take a long stare at those FUNKADELIC album covers
and .. THE FUNK WILL SET YOU FREEEEE !!!!!!!!!!!!
sk360

Post by sk360 »

I'd do a search on George Clinton, Parliament, Funkadelic, Bootsy Collins,ect. Youtube would be a good place to start.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I know all the big names and I did watch a few of their videos but I really want to avoid larger names and production values.

I want to see what smaller funk bands are doing. The only thing that I seem to find is live stuff. It seems like every minor funk band has some lame ass crap that their girlfriend shot on their Handycam.

Good Luck
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Smaller bands, huh. Try Brand New Heavies, Topaz, and SoulLive.
Does the song have a story? Do you want to stray from the performance
style video and do something different?
hassan

Post by hassan »

How about Icelandic jazz/funk band Jagúar? http://www.jaguar.is/
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

The song that they are hel bent on shooting has shitty lyrics/story.

It is about a guy that gets drunk and then gets beat up. Pretty fuckin' lame really. Great beat. Great sound. Shitty lyrics.

I am keeping my ideas for other songs on the table but want to explore their options for a week or two before I either drop the gig or give up on directing it and simply shoot it.

The bands you listed all sound great but their sites seem to only support wmv and ram files.

Any more ideas??

Thanks