Final Cut Pro clip - post to web

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Final Cut Pro clip - post to web

Post by CHAS »

sorry if this has been mentioned in past archives -- couldn't find it (but then again I am posting today from a 56k modem!) -- for FCP users (I am using version 4.5) -- what have you found to be the best method of exporting for web viewing? I want to put up samples from my Velvia, 64T, 100D, K40, and 7240 footage...Any advice on which is the best method for easy viewing?
fastwind

Post by fastwind »

FILE > EXPORT> QUICKTIME. Click on the option tab and set your
parameters for MPEG4.
christoph

Post by christoph »

fastwind wrote:FILE > EXPORT> QUICKTIME. Click on the option tab and set your parameters for MPEG4.
hmm.. could be that it changed slightly, but with fcp5 its:

file->export->quicktime conversion...
choose quicktime from dropdown menu..
then either:
Use: Intranet/LAN or Broadband High

or (what i prefer for more control):
click on the option tab and set your video settings manually, for example:
settings
--> compression type: mpeg4
everything on automatic, quality around medium (or high if you have the bandwidth)

++ christoph ++
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

christoph wrote:
fastwind wrote:FILE > EXPORT> QUICKTIME. Click on the option tab and set your parameters for MPEG4.
hmm.. could be that it changed slightly, but with fcp5 its:

file->export->quicktime conversion...
choose quicktime from dropdown menu..
then either:
Use: Intranet/LAN or Broadband High

or (what i prefer for more control):
settings
everything on automatic, quality around medium (or high if you have the bandwidth)

++ christoph ++
thanks for giving me the exact parameters...I had it slightly off...I'll try some exporting today and hopefully have some clips to show the forum by tomorrow or Monday.

LONG LIVE VELVIA FLESHTONES!
christoph

Post by christoph »

christoph wrote:or (what i prefer for more control):
settings
i should probably add that often it's useful to resize the clip for correct aspect ratio and faster transfer (click on the size button in the options field)..

good sizes are
640x480
480x360
360x270

++ c
mattias

Post by mattias »

i use high quality and set the bit rate instead. much better control over the file size. for low bitrates that only works well with 2-pass encoding though. and i use 3ivx rather than mpeg-4. it produces compatible results with higher quality for the same bitrate. it's not gamma correcting though so you have to do that yourself. i use color sync with apple standard and pal/secam as the source and destination profiles.

/matt
christoph

Post by christoph »

mattias wrote:i use high quality and set the bit rate instead. much better control over the file size.
interesting idea, seems to give very similair results (will have to do some more testing)... but it's probably a bit more confusing for beginners.

i dont like the automatic gamma adjustment anyway, sorensen3, mpeg4, you name it, they all seem to shift in a weird way... i often use plain old photo-jpeg because of that if file size isnt that important. it also plays on very old computers, and preserves grain structur much better (at the expense of size of course).
++ christoph ++
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

alright...sorry to sound so clueless...I did as Christoph suggested and burned to disc...then re-opened on my work PC (because I can post from a T1 line) and all I got were two folders Video_TS and Audio_TS... no .mov file...what stupid step did I not do?
mattias

Post by mattias »

you burned a dvd disc, which caused a re-encode of the file to an mpeg-2 .vob-file. burn a data disc next time and you'll be fine.

/matt
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

mattias wrote:you burned a dvd disc, which caused a re-encode of the file to an mpeg-2 .vob-file. burn a data disc next time and you'll be fine.

/matt
aha...I was thinking of trying to burn it as a data disc... :oops:

THANKS, Mattias...