Super 8 Convention?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

CHAS

Post by CHAS »

Now there's an idea. What if we coordinated the "convention" to be held a couple of days before the Austin Flicker? Maybe arranged to have some of the S8 members on this board show their work there? I know the Flicker in L.A. always has a terrific audience -- alcohol and Super-8 mix well together -- so I imagine the Austin Flicker would be the same, if not better... Anyway, something to think about.
calgodot

Piggybacking the con

Post by calgodot »

Piggybacking the con on an established, known event would certainly be advantageous. A mini-con formed within a larger event would also work. One might not fly to Austin just for a Super8 con, but it would definitely be enticing if a film festival was happening at or near the same time.

For the informal mini-con suggested by Roger, this would seem to me the way to go. Pick a big event taking place in Austin (or wherever) and have a mini-con within the larger goings-on.

"See those guys over there, with all the empty beer bottles? The ones arm wrestling over that can of K40? That's the Super8 con."

"Who's the big Texan beating up the skinny guy?"

"Oh, that's Roger and Cal." ;)
Basstruc

Post by Basstruc »

"Oh, that's Roger and Cal."
Yes, CAL, DON'T GO THERE, IT'S A TRAP !!! :lol:
Matt

Remove SP for e-mail (spam prevention)
Alex

Post by Alex »

Austin Texas sounds like a great place to have a convention.

LA would also be a good locale. What makes LA an intriguing place is the close proximity of Kodak, The Egypitan Theatre and the new theatres surrounding the Cinerama dome called the arclight cinemas which offer many theatre venues all within walking distance of each other. My Super-8 film was shown at the Arclight jsut last week during the Lost Angeles Italian film festival.

Plus, you've got Yale Labs, Pro-8mm, Film & Video Transfers all less than 30 minutes away in the San Fernando Valley. And, what could really top it off is right near the Egyptian is LA Film School. I believe LA Film School was started by Dov Simens (sorry if I misspelled the name).

LA Film School kind of bailed on film a few years ago when Mini-DV arrived. In my opinion, when LA Film School jumped on Mini-DV and bailed on film, they compromised truth and integrity for bucks, but hey, they were a fledgling enterprise and they took a surer thing, so who can blame them?

But now that Non Linear editing is so affordable, a case can be made for still shooting in film and editing on NLE. Having a big Super-8 convention/festival literally across the street from the LA Film School could be an eye opener for the LA Film School, and who knows, it could lead to them offering a Super- class. I mean, if hundreds of Super-8 filmmakers showed up at LA film Schools doorstep, they would definitely pay attention.

An endorsement and class from LA Film School would certainly help legitimize Super-8 in the entertainment industry as an excellent entry level format that probably helps film students prepare for 16mm & 35mm better than Mini-DV.
hmm

toronto, canada

Post by hmm »

There's at least 2, perhaps 4, 8mm/16mm 'festivals' in Toronto, Canada, annually. In July I think. People usually sit outside on a warm night and show the films on the side of an appropriated building.

stephen h.
http://www.homemoviememories.ca
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

I think we should definitely keep this small. Alex' idea, though interesting, would be a complicated mess. I think most people would rather stay at a cheap motel in Austin than some crappy one on some sleazy part of Hollywood Bl.

So...maybe we should start thinking of dates? Should we vote on this? If we don't being to finalize it's just going to be another pipedream idea...
Alex

Post by Alex »

I don't think it's an either or situation. By hooking on to an pre-existing event, it's just whenever, wherever.

Toronto & Austin sound good for this side of the globe. What might matter most is how many people from either of those regions would be willing to shoulder the footwork ( 8O ) for a Super-8 endeavor.

My LA ideas stem from having visited the Egyptian, The Arclight, and LA film school in the past, so any plans to meet either in Austin or Toronto need filmmakers from those areas to bounce ideas off of.

Perhaps new topic threads could be started that simply state the proposed geographic location and what resources would be available. (example: Toronto Super-8 Convention, Austin Super-8 Convention, etc)

The LA idea is complicated, but definitely doable over time if the following can happen...

Pro-8mm handles the screening of the "Professional" side of Super-8mm, they would supply professional Super-8 video clips and perhaps a couple of the filmmakers would be present for questions after the screening.
In theory, the ticket prices should balance out the cost of the theatre for that screening. It's good for Super-8 and it's good for Pro-8mm.

Flicker could handle the "Attack of the Fifty Foot Film Reels" screening, (perhaps the following night?)

Since LA FILM School is literally across the street from the Egyptian and very close to the Cinerama Dome, perhaps they could conduct a daily super-8 conference for Super-8 presentations about Film Transfers, Film Developing, Super-8 Film Productions, Lighting & Editing.

And in case anyone not from LA is interested, tours of Kodak, Yale, Film & Video Transfers, and Pro-8mm could perhaps happen.
jessh

Post by jessh »

CHAS wrote:What if we coordinated the "convention" to be held a couple of days before the Austin Flicker?
The only problem with this is that Flicker here is normally on a tuesday or wednesday, and I have a feeling that plus the weekend would be a bit long for most people.

What I had in mind was a bit more along the lines of convincing the wonderful people at Flicker Austin to host and promote atleast one Flicker screening to be help during the con, possibly at the hotel or wherever it will be at. Although not having at Alamo Drafthouse(the theater they are usually held at) would deprive everyone of some great food and drinks. I have talked to the people at flicker austin and they seem very interested in being a part of this, but no specifics on what their role will be have been mentioned yet. I was thinking that if we split the responsibilities of the con up and have different organisations do different parts(such as Flicker handling the screening(s)) we should be able to pull this off without too much in the way of money or resources.

The Cinemaker CO-OP also seems interested in being a part of this, although possibly just a very small one.

~Jess
JIM DUNN

Super 8 Convention?

Post by JIM DUNN »

JESS---Did you find out if the Austin Cinemaker Co-op intends to have the second annual International Super 8 Film Festival during this coming September?
CHAS

Post by CHAS »

jessh wrote:
CHAS wrote:What if we coordinated the "convention" to be held a couple of days before the Austin Flicker?
The only problem with this is that Flicker here is normally on a tuesday or wednesday, and I have a feeling that plus the weekend would be a bit long for most people.

What I had in mind was a bit more along the lines of convincing the wonderful people at Flicker Austin to host and promote atleast one Flicker screening to be help during the con, possibly at the hotel or wherever it will be at. Although not having at Alamo Drafthouse(the theater they are usually held at) would deprive everyone of some great food and drinks. I have talked to the people at flicker austin and they seem very interested in being a part of this, but no specifics on what their role will be have been mentioned yet. I was thinking that if we split the responsibilities of the con up and have different organisations do different parts(such as Flicker handling the screening(s)) we should be able to pull this off without too much in the way of money or resources.

The Cinemaker CO-OP also seems interested in being a part of this, although possibly just a very small one.

~Jess
Well that doesn't sound too un-doable. What if we had the con at the hotel banquet room during the day and Flicker co-sponsored the screening at night, at the Alamo Draft House on a Friday or Saturday? Or do the Drafthouse people not like to do stuff like that on the weekends? I've heard Harry Knowles wetting his pants over this venue so I'm kinda curious to check it out and I think it would be a great idea to screen our films at a place like this...like I wrote earlier, alcohol and S8...

Let's not let this one die....
Chas
flatwood

Post by flatwood »

lots of great ideas from los angeles to iceland with points in between. sounds like austin tx however meets the needs of the many posters from the usa. its a two day drive (i just dont want to fly commercial) for me though so i doubt that i can make it down there. parsons ks fits me better and is part way to see my grandkids in denver too plus ive been wanting to do a more in depth study of some of the abandoned stone farm complexes ive explored while driving through rural kansas over the past few years. if theres anything i can do to help make this happen regardless of the location i want to help!!!
http://MusicRiverofLife.com
http://TabbyCrabb.com
jessh

Re: Super 8 Convention?

Post by jessh »

JIM DUNN wrote:JESS---Did you find out if the Austin Cinemaker Co-op intends to have the second annual International Super 8 Film Festival during this coming September?
no clue, but I will try and remember to find out tommarow. If I remember correctly that was part of cinematexas, so if it happens then that might be a good event to arrange this around.

~Jess
jessh

Post by jessh »

CHAS wrote: Well that doesn't sound too un-doable. What if we had the con at the hotel banquet room during the day and Flicker co-sponsored the screening at night, at the Alamo Draft House on a Friday or Saturday? Or do the Drafthouse people not like to do stuff like that on the weekends?
I think a good deal of money would have to be involved in order to make this happen on a weekend, if they were to recieve all of the money from the tickets and were convinced that it was going to be a packed house of alocholic filmmakers then it might be doable ;-) Or the flicker screening could be held at another location.
I've heard Harry Knowles wetting his pants over this venue so I'm kinda curious to check it out and I think it would be a great idea to screen our films at a place like this...like I wrote earlier, alcohol and S8...
hehe, it really is a great place. As it has grown bigger (they now have 4 locations) and become more popular it has lost a bit of the personality it had, but it is still one of the best theaters I have been to (mainly because of the atmosphere and the food).

~Jess
Andreas Wideroe
Site Admin

Post by Andreas Wideroe »

Andreas Wideroe
Filmshooting | Com - Administrator

Please help support the Filmshooting forum with donations
mattias

Post by mattias »

i've been a super8 motels member since 1996. i've stayed at their motels dozens of nights. the best one i've tried so far is located in burlington, vt... :-)

/matt