cinevia exposure

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

fastwind

Post by fastwind »

Taelon wrote:Since when is Cinevia rated 64 ASA? It should be 50. :roll:
It is 50 ASA. If you set your HANDHELD light meter to 64 ASA, it will
be underexposed by 1/3 stop. REVERSAL film benefits from SLIGHT
underexposure - NEGATIVE film benefits from SLIGHT overexposure.
Check out some of the slide photography forums around the web.
Read about how photographers underexposed FUJI VELVIA ( CINEVIA)
by 1/3 stop and got better results.
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

AMAT0R wrote:There's absolutely no difference between light metering for 40 or 50 ASA (difference 1 DIN). So: shoot with auto-metering, without external filters (unless you use skylight or UV :) ), switch set on "little light bulb". Good luck!
Not really, there is a slight loss of density that I can notice... a few times I forgot to compensate.
100D and Vision 3 please
Patrick

Post by Patrick »

There is a rumour that Velvia 50 is actually a 40asa film in disguise. If this is true, then the highly saturated colours that this film is well known for are partly due to the slight underexposure acheived with the 50asa setting. However, there are a number of still photographers who rate this film at 40asa.
Last edited by Patrick on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattias

Post by mattias »

Patrick wrote:There is a rumour that Velvia 50 is actually a 40asa film in disguise
i believe the asa rating of an emulsion is based on correct rendering of medium grey, not what makes the film look "the best", so any stock must always be tested to determine how to get the look you want with it.

/matt