Ideas for creating titles

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

mattias

Post by mattias »

Single frame? Sure, but most cameras use the same shutter speed for that. /matt
mathis

Post by mathis »

mattias wrote:Single frame? Sure, but most cameras use the same shutter speed for that. /matt
Not on my Beaulieu. And on my Nizo neither, if I´m not totally off.
mattias

Post by mattias »

mathis wrote:Not on my Beaulieu. And on my Nizo neither, if I´m not totally off.
i know. otherwise i would have used all rather than most. the point is that "single frame" doesn't say anything about the shutter speed.

/matt
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

nizo's rule for intervalometer/single frame shooting.

try dialing the fps knob and pulling the trigger. It changes your shutter speed accordingly.

so you can shoot single frame at the effective shutter angle of 54fps... giving you very crisp shots.
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
odyssic

Post by odyssic »

What Nizo's rule? Aren't there many different kinds? I was thinking of getting one?

Steven
Evan Kubota

Post by Evan Kubota »

Any of the ones with an intervalometer...
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

"all" nizos "all" info:

http://www.merzbarn.com/Specification_c ... _chart.htm

s8hôôt
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
odyssic

Post by odyssic »

Thanks for the Nizo info. I might get one eventually. For now I'll stick with 16mm since I just bought 50 x 100' rolls of tri x off ebay.

Does anyone do titles with a matte box or titler? I kind of like the look of real titles? What kind of high contrast black and white film stock would be good to use for shooting that way?

Steven
alltimetrebek

Titles against Picture

Post by alltimetrebek »

Would it be possible for one to shoot white on black titles and rewind the film in order to superimpose picture behind the titles or vice versa? I'm interested in doing this. The computer suggestions are good for shooting titles, but I don't think they could be applied to having titles over picture. Thoughts appreciated.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

this may be a better solution - try to get one of these cams and the slide adapter:

s8hôôt
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
jpolzfuss

Post by jpolzfuss »

S8 Booster wrote:Image
Wow! The macro even translates the slide's text from "Unser Urlaub" to "Our Vacation"! That's a nice feature! ;)
S8 Booster

Post by S8 Booster »

sure - put a lcd chip from a projector there and you will get anything you want :wink:

s8hôôt
mattias

Post by mattias »

S8 Booster wrote:sure - put a lcd chip from a projector there and you will get anything you want
hey, no joke. shooting through an lcd for overhead projectors would be really cool. i wonder if the grid pattern is thin enough to not show up...

/matt
moviemat

Post by moviemat »

The stock to use for high contrast 16mm is 7363. which is very high contrast and if your into home developing you can develop it in Lith chemicals to make it pure black and white. (easier than other film too because you can handle it in red light). (and ought to be cheap)

Depending on whether your main stuff your shooting is being processed as reversal or negative you have to think a bit about the workflow so you don't have problems with the emulsion being on the wrong side. 7363 is usually double perfed so that can make things easier (or more confusing) in this respect.

Don't quote me on this but if you shoot back to front titles in black on white process them and then flip the film when you cut it in you get white on black text with emulsion on the right side if you are cutting with a print. and if you shoot them the right way around the emulsion will be correct to cut with a reversal film.

or the other way around.

7363 isn't always easy to get in small quantities quickly becasue it is a lab film. We got some from Franklin Film Lab in the US and they were very friendly and quick.

oh and you have to light is as bright as you can becaue the estimated asa is about 6 (but don't worry too much becasue you can process it as long as you like and not get any unwanted grey)

Hope that's helpful and not nonsense

Good luck

Mat
odyssic

Post by odyssic »

Thanks! It has all helped.

Steven