anyone using a SNIPER or WORKPRINTER with a MAC?

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

Justin Lovell

anyone using a SNIPER or WORKPRINTER with a MAC?

Post by Justin Lovell »

Just curious how the software is for capturing and what its capabilities/limits are in comparison to CINECAP/DODCAP.

I assume it works with the QT codecs.
Does it allow for image flipping, or inverting the image?
Does it allow for applying pulldown patterns and conversions?

Anyone have experience with it?
justin lovell
cinematographer
8/16/35mm - 2k.5k.HDR.film transfers
http://www.framediscreet.com
MovieStuff

Re: anyone using a SNIPER or WORKPRINTER with a MAC?

Post by MovieStuff »

jusetan wrote:Just curious how the software is for capturing and what its capabilities/limits are in comparison to CINECAP/DODCAP.

I assume it works with the QT codecs.
Does it allow for image flipping, or inverting the image?
Does it allow for applying pulldown patterns and conversions?

Anyone have experience with it?
The CineCap program is written specifically for the WorkPrinter and Sniper units. It has speed previews and batch processing of just about any pulldown pattern you can think of for any speed as well as flipping of the image both vertically and horizontally, etc. The CaptureMate program for the Mac is pretty much a capture-only program as it is a converted animation program. The quality is the same as CineCap. While CaptureMate offers the choice of DV Stream or QuickTime files, most people find it impossible to get consistant synch in the QT mode, thus most capture in the DV Stream mode. It has no speed preview and no batch processing of the capture files. The only way to have it produce different built-in playback speeds is if you capture in the QT mode, which is problematic in maintaining synch with the WorkPrinter or Sniper units. Most people that edit with a Mac end up capturing on a cheap PC and then bringing the files to their Mac on an external drive for editing. Since the CineCap files have no soundtrack, they can be imported into FCP with no problem, even though they are not QT files.

Hope this helps!

Roger
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

all the answers I needed, thanks roger!

(I was looking into either purchasing a dual g5 2.7 or building dual xeon 3.0 PC).

I think the PC route may be better suited for my workflow.

Thanks for the tips,
justin lovell
cinematographer
freddiesykes

Post by freddiesykes »

jusetan, you could just get a dual-core setup...might be cheaper, especially if you go with AMD.
super8man

Post by super8man »

The CineCap program is written specifically for the WorkPrinter and Sniper units. It has speed previews and batch processing of just about any pulldown pattern you can think of for any speed as well as flipping of the image both vertically and horizontally, etc.

And to think I missed this fact! ACK! Time to explore the software some more...

Thanks for that.
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

I'm fairly new to understanding the dual core idea, I was under the assumption that xeon processors were much faster than AMD.

Maybe you could shed some more light in my direction?

thanks,
justin lovell
cinematographer
digvid

Upgrades

Post by digvid »

A reminder to anyone who is running an older version of Dodcap/CineCap: upgrades are free for registered users, so if you want to update, just download the latest from the website and use your existing registration information.

You can view your current registration information by choosing "About CineCap" from the Help menu (on newer versions) or clicking the film reel in the upper-left corner of the main window and choosing "About CineCap". You could then make a screen snapshot of this, print it out, and tape it to the bottom of your WorkPrinter/Sniper, or some other place where you won't lose it! Just a suggestion.

Also, I am putting the finishing touches on CineCap version 1.40 this morning. I will release it (hopefully) next week after I reconfigure the purchase section on my website. This release will be followed shortly by the release of a new product, CineCap Pro, which is tailored more towards Sniper (although it can be used with a WorkPrinter as well) users and people with high-end cameras. It has features such as built-in vertical flipping in preview windows and the media player to accomodate the upside-down Sniper image. Also, default speed change folders are already set up with vertical flipping. In the unlikely event that your video camera develops dead/hot pixels, CineCap Pro has a feature that lets you set up a "profile" where you identify the hot pixels, and then during speed changes, they are "averaged out."

Unfortunately, I have no Mac version though. :(

I just don't have the equipment or time to create and maintain versions for both platforms.

- Jeff D.
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

Hey Jeff,

Glad to see the new version is soon to be released!

Did you take into account any of the suggestions I had for you, including a neg preview flip and variable frame rate pulldowns (user selectable to any fps?)

PM me if you like.

thanks,
justin lovell
cinematographer
alexfan90

Post by alexfan90 »

This is not exactly what you are looking for, but pentium vs amd comparison which is usually consistant throughout their CPUs. I suggest you take a look.

Consumer Dual Cores:
AMD X2 vs. Pentium 840 EE

If you're looking at servers, it's:
Opterons vs. Xeons

Personally, I'd go with AMD because they run cooler and consume less power. However starting next year sometime during the 1st or 2nd quarter, 65nm chips by pentium will be released. But hey, what ever floats your boat.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/06/03/ ... index.html

:wink: :wink:
digvid

Negative

Post by digvid »

Jusetan,

I have not added the negative flip yet, but I have added the ability to do almost any pulldown pattern. You can type in your own patterns, or you can use a built-in calculator to enter the speed you want and CineCap will figure out the smoothest pattern for that speed. There is actually a way to remove pulldown patterns as well, and take you back to the original file, although this requires a little manual calculating, and I am not really advertising this feature.

Regarding the negative flip, I am still looking at putting it in there, but perhaps as a hidden feature that you can activate in some way. I was thinking of putting it in only as a capability for the preview windows, but not in the post-processing area yet. In any case, you would have to further adjust colors in a NLE anyway, so you might as well do the real negative flip there as well. At least if the feature worked in the preview windows, you could adjust exposure during capture.

Jeff
gianni1

Post by gianni1 »

I've got Cinecap registered for usage with my G4 800mhz iMac. It works with my home made (attempt at a) workprinter clone, and also use it for stop motion with a dv camcorder.

Gianni
onsuper8

Post by onsuper8 »

I've used cinecap successfully with G4 and G5 iMac and never had any problems with it - couple it with Quicktime Pro and pretty much everything you need is there.
MovieStuff

Post by MovieStuff »

gianni1 wrote:I've got Cinecap registered for usage with my G4 800mhz iMac.
onsuper8 wrote:I've used cinecap successfully with G4 and G5 iMac

Um, er.... You guys are using a PC program on your Mac? 8O

Or do you mean you are using CaptureMate because CineCap is designed for the PC. Or are you using VirtualPC on the Mac? I'm confused.....

Roger
Justin Lovell

Post by Justin Lovell »

Hey Jeff!

Can't wait to see the new version, I'm excited about the upgrades.

Regarding the Neg flip, If you could do it in the software, it would be great as it would mean less stress on the system/rendering (for some users) when processing/Colour correcting the files in post.

A simple neg preview would be great too, but having both options available would be the most beneficial for the user. (brings to mind some of the frustration that 'rogers'(-cellphones/cable services) creates when they hold back features from the users).

That's my 2 cents.

thanks for supporting us,
justin lovell
cinematographer
T-Scan

Post by T-Scan »

Roger had a good point last time on this subject, concerning negative flip allowing you to dial in the capture exposure better.. I've tried a few guess exposures with no luck, not getting density I can work with.
100D and Vision 3 please