small format mag may exist in future

Forum covering all aspects of small gauge cinematography! This is the main discussion forum.

Moderator: Andreas Wideroe

super8man

Post by super8man »

Yesterday I talked to the publishers. We need another 200 subscriptions to survive. So, if you are interested in the future of a magazine like this and have not subscribed yet, please be so kind and send us an eMail with your full address. Subscription is US-$ 79 or € 69 for six issues (one year). Please be so kind to inform your friends and other Super 8 and 16mm enthusiasts about small format.

On Nov 22 the publishers will make the decision to go on or not.

Jürgen Lossau
Sounds to me like the November 22 date is an externality and out of Juergen's control (meaning, it's a non-negotiable)

Publishers are business people too and they have other things to do than wait for 134 people to make up their mind.

Ahh well, keep up the noble effort.

Best,
Mike
My website - check it out...
http://super8man.filmshooting.com/
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

Mike, you are right.
http://www.atollmedien.de
the books about all cameras and projectors ever built
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Are there really that many more German super8 enthusiasts than the rest of the world? How comes this is an issue for the English version?
How about a bi-lingual mag?

Mark
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

Mark,
all my books about Movie Cameras and Projectors are bi-lingual. But I am not so sure if the time is right for a bi-lingual magazine. See these two reasons:

The German schmalfilm sells its 3,000-4,000 copies to 60% to people 55-80 years of age and 35% to people 25-40 years of age. There is nearly no "middle of mid-ages". I am not sure if the older German, Swiss and Austrian readers are ready for a bi-lingual version. They always tell me (since we have changed the layout of the mag) I should stop to print big pictures and filling the pages with text instead. When they have to share the pages with English readers they might be not willing anymore to pay 73 Euro (86 US $) per year.

Second reason: The German version contains to a certain extent out of specific informations about German clubs, movie shows and product tests (local video transfer companies, etc.) that are only interesting for people in these 3 countries.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

You sell 3000-4000 copies in Germany but we can't even manage 200!?!
I think you need to start looking elsewere. There used to be a collectors/enthusiasts mag called ACE over here but I think it closed down- it was full of stuff- 9.5mm film sources etc. Perhaps you could get their mailing list? I will try and contact Mr Nowill- he's sure to have a few contacts.
How did you start off in Germany?

Mark
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

The publisher started schmalfilm 57 (!) years ago. In the seventies it was sold 20,000 times a month!

But about the English version, there is a misunderstanding. Of course we sell far more than a total of 3,000 copies of issue no. 1 (in shops and through the internet and our flyers) but we need to have 130 more subscribers than we already have to achieve the amount of subscribers that makes it economically arguable to start the whole thing.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It's still puzzling to base a magazines future on only one issue, especially if the second one will be made anyway.

There are several momentum factors that will continue to kick into gear even after the Nov. 22 deadline.

The AMIA is posting a press release in their national newsletter, Kodak will probably put a link on their website, I probably will be able to add a few more
locations for the magazine here in LA, AND, everyone on this forum could probably find on camera store to put up a subscription flyer as well, and of course, the second issue will help boost subscription as well.

Along with the flyers Dwaynes is handing out, you most probably will reach your goal by the middle of February, but probably not by Nov. 22.
S8 Booster
Location: Yeah, it IS the real thing not the Fooleywood Crapitfied Wannabe Copy..

Post by S8 Booster »

not completely sure about this but i believe that if i contact my local library and ask them to subscribe on the mag they would accept it as an public service. they often do with other kind of mags.

any chance that libraries on your side are potential subscribers?

then 134 subs wouldnt be far away.
..tnx for reminding me Michael Lehnert.... or Santo or.... cinematography.com super8 - the forum of Rednex, Wannabees and Pretenders...
alltimetrebek

First Issue

Post by alltimetrebek »

I paid for a first issue through Paypal nearly two months ago and have not seen it! Excited to see it inside my mailbox one of these days.

Good luck with your subscribers! What's the count looking like?
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

It's not my goal, It's the goal of the publisher. And what are you talking about issue no. 2 will be made anyway? That's another misunderstanding. If we go on, no. 2 shall be ready mid of Feb. But only if we go on. Otherwise there will not be a no. 2.

The 130 more subscriptions needed is just the minimum set by the publisher to be sure that he won't loose too much money. Of course we have to bank on ads and subscriptions coming later than Nov 22, too. But there must be some optimistic figures to risk a start.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I misunderstood, I thought you were doing issue two no matter what.

I'll be willing to rollover whatever money I collect from selling issue one towards issue 2.
Juergen

Post by Juergen »

Hi Alex, thats really nice of you but I think you should also earn some money for all the work you have done - delivery and phone contacts. Good work - go on with it; that will help us most.
mik

Post by mik »

i think s8 booster idea to make offer for libraries is very good, specially libraries in filmschools where they work still with film. for them such magazine is good info/edu material for students.

i can send info about smallfilm to polish filmschools, but i am only amateur with no any authority, it would be better if you send them offer as an editor. i can provide addresses.

mik.
reflex

Post by reflex »

I spent some time contacting a few dozen people at various film co-ops and film schools about Small Format last week.

A few people were interested personally and several commented they'd like to order the magazine for their organization next year -- budgets seem to run Jan to Dec or April through March. It's too near the end of the year for some of them to have discretionary funds floating around. :|

I did accidentally find some film work out of the calls, though -- that should cover my subscription! :lol:
www.retrothing.com
Vintage Gadgets & Technology
Alex

Post by Alex »

reflex wrote:I spent some time contacting a few dozen people at various film co-ops and film schools about Small Format last week.

A few people were interested personally and several commented they'd like to order the magazine for their organization next year -- budgets seem to run Jan to Dec or April through March. It's too near the end of the year for some of them to have discretionary funds floating around. :|

I did accidentally find some film work out of the calls, though -- that should cover my subscription! :lol:
ANOTHER REASON to get involved in pitching your local camera shop in subscribing to Small Format, an actual excuse to talk to someone you may not know that well and who knows what will come out of that.